Scanning oversized models

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by dansls1, Jul 9, 2007.

1. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Ok - so I've read a number of people who scan backup copies of various models printed on oversized paper sheets. Do you all have access to oversized scanners, or do you just scan a single page into multiple pages giving overlap of some parts and only print what you want using digital manipulation of the images?
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

overlap them is how I did it. Only done it to my first purchased model though. It worked out pretty well. Everything else I built have been downloads.
  3. Pace

Pace New Member

To make backup copies, I just cut the large sheets into smaller pieces and copy them.
  4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

This is the method I use. Scan a sheet @ 300DPI multiple times and chop it up so that a4 parts fit onto letter sized sheets. Some times I join parts to print to 11x17 for better structure.

Then when I am happy I clear up the moire, color correct, fix designer issues and save it.
  5. Darwin

Darwin Member

I've had reasonably good luck making two or more scans per sheet and then joining them in photoshop. Mostly I do my scans at 300 dpi. If really lucky, I can get the pieces to line up within a couple of pixels; if not, I start trying to capture the individual parts and cut and paste onto an A3 sized image. There is also occasional problem with color shift from one scan to the next. If there is a noticible color shift at the join, I either try correcting the spectra in photoshop or, if not too noticible, just use the bandaid tool to blur out the sharp color shift. However, that may be now in the past....I just recently trashed the bank account and purchased a large-size (12 x 17 inch) scanner. Can't wait to get electricity into the shop building so I can try it out...supposed to happen within the next week (oh joy, joy). The new scanner comes complete with the color correction software and kodak target page, so in theory the blue background and color shift problems should go bye-bye. I'm still going to have to do overlaps to get my Wilhelmshaven Nimitz copied, but I think that is the only model I have that is bigger than A3.
  6. k5083

k5083 Member

Splitting up a large PAGE to scan is no problem, but I try hard not to split up a PART. I'll reorient the page and rescan as many times as necessary to get a single scan of each part, then rearrange onto letter-size canvas in Photoshop. It rarely, but occasionally, happens that one part is just too large to fit on a letter sized sheet. That creates a problem not only for scanning, but for printing as well! Since I can't print it as a single page, unless I'm shrinking the whole model, generally I won't try to merge it in Photoshop but will just print it as two pieces and reassemble it physically.

7. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Thanks - good info from all. The first thing I know I have to do is figure out how to scan an image with my software and maintain the original size. My first attempt gave me a huge file, so I was unable to get it back to an exact size match with a couple test prints. I'm sure it's something I missed when setting up the scanner - will have to play more.
  8. bugman72

bugman72 Member

I'm lucky enough to have access to a 36" wide HP plotter. I can run 24x36 sheets of 80# cardstock directly into it. I will usually use Photoshop to increase the scale of the parts and then rearrange them on the proper paper size. I just finished doing this to one of the Gibson Les Paul guitars to make it full-size. The end scaling factor turned out to be a bit over 507%.
  9. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

lol I have access to 2 plotters 1 36" and a really nice hp 24".

I like to keep my job though. :p
  10. shrike

shrike Guest

Bribery usually works

Finishing up a UH1 for my boss<g>
  11. badgerys

badgerys Member

In my case it is just a matter to ask a friend who has a A3 scanner.Have tried to use my scanner and do it in bits seems always result in different exposures in various areas.This leads to a unsatisfactory model.
    Therefore I ask my

12. bugman72

bugman72 Member

That's the pleasure of working where I do. I have FULL access to every piece of equipment that we have here. Granted, it helps that I'm the Network Administrator and have been at my job for 13 of the 14 years that the company has been in operation.

What plotters do you have, StevO? We use an HP 1050C that is a tremendous unit. We've had it since '98 and have had a total of two service calls since the original purchase. And it's not like we don't use it...we go through at least four 500' rolls a month.