Scanning Models?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by dd910, Oct 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dd910

dd910 New Member

Newbie to the group interested in scanning my purchased models, GPM, Halinsky, etc. to save. Anybody have any suggestions on scanners? Flatbed seems best but what resolutions, etc? Discussions, ideas?
  2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

well the quick answer would be, buy a scanner you can afford.

most scanners currently have a standard resolution of 4800 dpi

the standard bed size is about an A4 in size, and most you can get for $70 and up
    now if you want 11x17, you will be shelling out some $2000 or more dollars.

i hope this helps

3. Darwin

Darwin Member

With present scanners, I believe resolution is no longer a point for argument on the part of cardmodellers....even the cheapest scanner has more resolution than your computer has RAM, especially when we talk GPM. Granted I could use an upgrade, but with 256 Meg RAM, my computer gags if I try working with much more than 300 dpi on 11x17" images. Flatbed is a must...the larger the scanning area the better. If you have lots of disposable income, go with the 11X17 size. If you are a real person like the rest of us, make sure the scanner has a fairly pronounced ledge where case meets glass to act as a guide for making multiple-chunk scans of GPM, Flymodel, etc. I personally like single-pass scanners (but that is really more a function of the software, not hardware....and is why I do my scanning with PSP 8, not the manufacturer-provided software). My experience is you get what you pay for....not so much anymore for scan quality, but for scanner longevity. You will not be a "casual user" of your scanner if you really have the cardmodelling bug, so go with the most expensive model you can get without busting the food budget.
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

My two cents........... get a USB model.........they are MUCH faster. More time to spend building instead of scanning! :D
  5. dd910

dd910 New Member

Thanks everyone, I think just for "backing up" models I will look into places like print shops and Kinko's to see if they can scan them maybe onto a CD or something, maybe the cheaper way to go.
  6. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Problem with Kinkos is , they will not touch copyrighted materials.

I know, during college, i could make the copies in the store, but Kinkos would not touch the book.

7. cardfan

cardfan Member

Actually it may be cheaper to buy a scanner. At the print shop I worked in, not only would we not touch anything with a copywrite, but the charge for the scan was a killer. We would nail you for about $45 an hour and no guarentee that the scan would be to your liking. At least with the home model you can keep trying and you are only out time. I did have the typesetter scan one thing for me, when I tried to print it out parts had been cut off making it useless.

Most scanners aren't that expensive anymore and if you shop around you can find package deals that include software. I recently purchased a graphire 3 mouse and tablet set and it came with photoshop elements. I have been playing around with it and I'm happy with the results. And trust me, I am no computer wizard.

Just my thoughts.
  8. Gecko23

Gecko23 Member

The DPI isn't really critical these days, most scanners will scan much, much higher than is ever necessary. DPI is just overhyped like MHz numbers are for CPUs.

The major failing you run into is poor color-depth. There are a number of scanners on the market today that scan at 4800+ DPI, but only output 8 bit color. Which leads to terrible, and unfixable, palettization of everything scanned.

All decent scanners will specify this along with their scanning area, DPI, etc very clearly. If it isn't clearly indicated, assume the worst. They didn't leave it off the package by accident.

And you are always better advised to get a standalone scanner versus an all-in-one anything. They don't pick the components on all-in-one units for their quality, they pick them 'cause their cheap and/or overstock.
  9. dd910

dd910 New Member

Interesting. You are all very knowledgeable folks indeed, thanks!
  10. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

my scanner was $50 at staples, flatbed, and goes up to 600dpi, 24bit true color. If I scan above 300dpi, I can actually see the separation of the dots of the ink dots, its that good.

scanning tip, put a piece of black paper behind what your scanning so the backside print does not bleed through.
  11. Marcin

Marcin New Member

Always check if your printout has the same scale as the original. Scanners tend to change the size ether horizontally or vertically. Sometimes both. From my experience the best way to scan model is to use "copy" option which is included in most scanners. I might be wrong but this is what I have experienced. I would sugest to get one with that magic copy button.
  12. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

put a rule down on the scanner as well!!!
    when you print, make sure the ruler prints out correctly, done.
  13. ButchPrice

ButchPrice Member

I can't believe you guys

What you are proposing is a violation of the copyright.
    That's why kinkos won't touch it. It's illegal.
  14. rickstef

rickstef Guest

he can scan his own bought models for back up or foul up reprint

I did it with the Peugeot 405 Paris Dakar racer.
    i even used it to test build some of the parts, that I thought was going to give me problems.

and I know i will be doing it with all models i have bought, that way i don't go OOOPS and shouldn't have done something

15. ButchPrice

ButchPrice Member

Not really

If you bought a pre-printed model, you purchased that unary
    single copy. It is a product of the publisher.
    Most (I say MOST) such packages do not allow
    you to commit that model to digital format - legally.
    They did not sell you "back-up" rights. Read your licence.
    Scanning it into a computer file, you are creating a reproduction.
    For all they know, you might then "share" it with someone else,
    and by that device, they would be incurring a loss.
    Copyright laws are very explicit in this regard.
    I understand your reasoning, but if the publisher did not declare that
    making digital reproductions of the model are acceptable to them,
    then the act of scanning it is in itself illegal. Ask someone from
    Maly Modelarz or ABC , or any printed model publisher,
    if this practice is acceptable. I believe that they would tell you it is not.
    (I'm not saying that it's a bad idea, for in case you fubar, but typically
    Model publishers are very explicit that you may not make ANY reproductions)

Most licence are explicit in that you may NOT create a reproduction
    of the published model, digital or printed, for what ever reason.
    IF you purchased a digital model file, you DO have the right to make
    a copy for back up purposes, for in the event that the file is destroyed
    before you have printed it.
  16. Gil

Gil Active Member

On the Annalcy of it all,

This means that the publishing company also accepts that their product offering is perfect in every way and that reproduction for fixing a badly designed product is no longer a necessity. Gee, I'm relieved to know that i'll never have to scan again. It also means that they are indemnifying their product as sold and are open to suit, if indeed, they have in any way misrepresented their product to the consuming public. Not one to get involved I guess I'll have to decline buying any of their offered product as I might end up with a subpoeana to a dramatic effort by the FTC to reign in the rampant misrepresentation of the quality of card models on the unsuspecting public by the collusion of card model manufacturers. The regular disgrace of it all...,

Totally Scanless, Gil
  17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

And........... you better trash all those cassette tapes and CDs so the sentence won't be longer for multiple counts of copyright infringments :shock: :!:
  18. rickstef

rickstef Guest

I read your post, and wanted to respond right away, but my tempers were a bit higher than I liked them to be, so, I drove home, walked the block with the dogs, and have a calmer and clearer mind.

You are basically advocating that I buy more than one kit, of anything I want to build in order to adhere to your reasoning.

While I am all for supporting our favorite vendor, but you have to admit, buying 4 or 5 copies of a tank is a bit much, and at $15 a pop, $75 does buy alot of models, supplies, or reference material.

Sharing the files, aside, I think that making a scan of a model, be it a single sheet, or multiple sheets to prevent oopsies, is quite in the nature of the copyright law.
    (my xbox dvds have a do not make illegal copies printed on it, but they do allow for backups for personal use, and safe keeping)

Lets keep it civil, and lets not invoke some of the site rules.

19. cecil_severs

cecil_severs Member

Well done Rick,

Without getting too much into the nuances, I think that what you talk about here is well covered by "fair-use". As such it really needs no further discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.