Scanner Settings

Discussion in 'Software' started by NYC Irish, Mar 12, 2006.

1. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Hey there, I was wondering if you could give me some hints or tips about scanning.

I was scanning a few images (A3 size) at 300 DPI, 48 bit colour but they are coming out at 98+MB which is too big for any sort of operation with an editing program.

Any suggestions for how I might make it a smaller file or best option for what type of file I should save them as?

John John

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy John,

I too have run across this problem, the corrective action I took was to scan at a much lower resolution.....100dpi. This brought the images size WAY down. Unless there is alot of really fine detail "brush strokes" on a Van Gogh painting you really have to have, try 100 dpi.
    And please stop trying to counterfiet Van Goghs work lol.

Hope this helps, have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Keep the resolution at 300 dpi but drop the color per bit to 16 bits. I assume that you're scanning a cardmodel so setting the scan to "graphic" mode will help. On the other hand if you're scanning photographs drop it down to 24 bit color. The scanner can only digitize to 10-12 bits per color sample so anything over 30-36 bits is marketing. The eye limits at around 24 bits. Increases further than this yield only vague improvements in detail. The upper bits are usually used for graphic overlays such as "alpha channels" and the like which are very useful; but has nothing to do with scanner resolution.

4. charliec

charliec Active Member

Hi John,

Try saving as .tif - it's lossless compression so you won't lose detail or generate
    artifacts on rescaling like .jpgs do. Don't bother with the default .bmp - it will just generate huge files with no improvement of information content over .tif.

I support not going over 24 bit colour - if you can get away with 16 bit colour do so.

5. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Scanning card models

Hi all,

I scan card models that are small in size on one sheet in 1200dpi. The result is a very detailed file of 393 Mb that can be enlarged several times.
    With models that are larger and spread over several sheets, I go with 800dpi.
    This yields files that are 145 Mb, which are a little faster to play around with (contrast and colour correction).
    I almost always save them in lossless TIFF, but sometimes as jpg if they are intended for the web. For the web, larger scanning resolution than 72dpi is just a waste as this is the max resolution of most monitors.

6. Gil

Gil Active Member

The real number to look at is the "true" or "optical" resolution of your scanner. If it is 600 x 1200 it means that it has the capability of physically scanning 600 dots per inch horizontally by 1200 vertically. The first value is the limiiting value anything higher than this is an interpolated value. Using imaging software after acquiring the image can do the same thing and sometimes much better depending on the application. This is one reason you'll see repeated recommendations to scan at 300 dpi or just slightly higher to compensate for 300 dpi moire pattern issues.

7. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

You guys are amazing...thanks...
    John John