Scanner Setting

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Huey, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Huey

Huey Member

What's the ideal scanner setting (DPI) when scanning printed models? I just got my GMP Heinkel HE-111 and I want to scan it first and practice building on the scanned copy first before I do the actual on the printed model. I've waited for a month for this and I just don't want to 'mess' with this. Hope somebody can help :D
  2. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi Huey,

As high as it will go. In practice though it should be two times the resoultion that you plan to print it with. The problem is that most systems become exponentially slower with each increase in resolution. This is generally acceptable when it's a one time process. The real issue is when and if you decide to recolor. High resolution files will load most PCs to the point of near uselessness unless the files are resampled to a lower resolution. 300 dpi should suffice in this case without slowing the system to much. For higher speed tests use a much lower resolution of say 72 dpi which is screen resolution. This will allow higher throughput while preserving most of the detail.

Best regards, Gil
  3. Huey

Huey Member

Thanks for the tip. Actually I was using 300 dpi as my setting and save it as a jpg file, but then I'm not too happy when I view it in Microsoft Photo Editor, it looks fine when you preview it on Explorer though. Do you also make adjustments on the Bright and Contrast? Thanks again for the tip :D .

4. Gil

Gil Active Member

Saving as a JPG file is the problem. JPG compresses the scanned data in order to obtain smaller data sets suitable for transmtting pictures over the internet. That's why it looked good on Explorer and bad in Photo Editor. You need to save the scanned file as a bmp file which will preserve the data resolution.

Best, Gil
  5. Huey

Huey Member

Thanks a lot for clearing that one out for me. I'll do a re-scan and save it to a bmp file instead. I appreciate your help a lot :D

6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Huey, if you are going to handle big bitmap files, you simply must have LOTS of RAM. I still run my PC with win98se, so I am maxxed out at 512mb, but if you use later Win OSs, or a Mac, you can stuff a lot more RAM into your computer, and RAM is pretty cheap just now.And like when running any memory-hungry programs and files, keep the number of programs running in the background to an absolute minimum, preferably disconnect from the net and close down any virus or firewall software, screen savers, mail progs etc. Make sure your desktop is clear of files (shortcuts are much better if you need quick access to files), ditch any wallpaper images, empty your trash can, dump your temp files, defrag your hard drive. This will give your PC the best chance of handling big bitmaps quickly and reducing the chance of a crash.

Tim P

PS Sorry if I am trying to teach granny to suck eggs!!
  7. Gecko23

Gecko23 Member

bmp is ok, but png will save you a great deal of disk space. And its completely lossless as well.

The methods used by PNG and BMP compression both do better with large runs of solid color, so one of the first things I do is replace the background (plain paper) with a solid white fill.

The other posters were right, every doubling of the DPI quadruples the RAM required to hold the image. And the only solution is to add more RAM.

Another common problem with scanners is that they purport to scan '128 bits' or some such, (which they might) but only output 8 bit color. And the only fix for that is to buy a better scanner.
  8. Darwin

Darwin Member

I save my scans as .jpg, and have not noticed much in the way of quality deterioration when I use the "best quality" setting on the dialog box. Because the new version of the HP scanning software sucks (and more than just eggs), I do my scanning from PSP 8. This has it's upside, since I can immediately apply the magic wand to the background and set it to white. Most of my final image processing and printing is done in Photoshop 7....maybe why I haven't noticed any significant quality drop in the compressed file. If one has loads and gobs of hard drive space (or lots of time to make CD roms), though, you may as well keep the files uncompressed. Ditto the opinion that you can't possibly have too much RAM. I thought 254 Meg would be overkill....boy, was I wrong, as I found out the first time I loaded a 300 dpi scan into Image Forge. The nice thing about 300 dpi is that one can neatly double the model size by just copying the parts into 150 dpi pages, and still have fairly good resolution on the printed page.
  9. Huey

Huey Member

Thanks for all the help and tips. I really appreciate it. I'm just using a DELL Latitude D800 Laptop with a HP Scanjet 3500c scanner. I did a scan of a jpg last night using a 1200 DPI, I was running a spreadsheet and was connected to the internet. File came out to some 100+Mb for a single page hehehe. I'll try again either tonight or on my rest day this Friday. Thanks again for the tips. If you still have some aces up your sleeves, I'd appreciate it. I'm waiting for the A3 scanner to scan my GPM B-52 :D :D
  10. Huey

Huey Member

The GPM B-52D was a big letdown to me :( . Its like the old style of Maly. Hopefully they'll update this as its one great bird. Can't argue with the size, but the lines and colors, I was expecting something better than this. The GPM B-29 however is simply beautiful, worth the money I paid for.

By the way, will deliver anywhere in the world, even on the 'frontlines' hehehe. I'm still missing my order from spishop (ordered 2 weeks ahead of Hobbyfactory) though, maybe somewhere out there, who knows where APO brought it. Its almost two months now :( .
  11. Gecko23

Gecko23 Member

If the software follows the spec, then 'best quality' = 'uncompressed'.

So it should look better, since it hasn't been fiddled with.
  12. rowiac

rowiac Member

Here are some guidelines on scanning resolutions:

I personally scan at 300dpi and save as TIF with the compressed option. This uses a lossless compression to save space on my hard disk without degrading the image. Once I'm done editing the image I will often save the image as a JPG with a high quality setting to shrink the file size down.

One thing to avoid is to save a JPG over and over again. Each time you save the file it recompresses it and degrades it further.

13. Huey

Huey Member

well just to play it safe, I used a 300 dpi and scanned the model and saving it as jpg, bmp, and png. It took 2 hours to scan the entire booklet but, at least it all fit into 1 CD disk.
  14. Gil

Gil Active Member

Good show! Putting it on the CD is also a great idea. One other point to consider is saving it as a PSD file is also a good idea if you plan to use an Adobe compatible editor (runs a lot faster).

Now you can screw up to your hearts content and enjoy every minute of it!

Best regards, Gil
  15. Huey

Huey Member

Don't worry, with my skills, I plan to screw up big time! :lol: :lol: :lol: I never new JSC kit would be so complicated for a newbie like me. GPM seems ok on instructions if I can read Polish :lol:

16. j77ason

j77ason New Member

Hi Guys,
    I never scan and save or print out - if you are going to so much trouble to get a reasonable printed copy of a kit, why not do what I do and take the kit along to a colour photocopy shop and either copy it yourself or get someone else to do it for you. That is colour or black and white.
    Of course you can increase or decrease the kit scale size easily at the same time. Especially say if it is an A4 single sheet and you make it A3 which is 2 x A4 - and 50% bigger.
    It is then a simple task of glueing your photocopy to your building card.
    I use PVA glue - pour enough onto both surfaces to be joined and spread evenly with a paint brush - then lay the paper on the card and carefully smooth out with a soft cloth to avoid tearing.
    Leave overnight to dry. You will find the PVA glue shrinks the paper as it dries and takee away any bubbles or blemishes you missed. I also edge join all parts with PVA glue - no tabs.
  17. cardfan

cardfan Member

That could be a problem in the US. Most copy centers that I know of will not copy material that has a copyright. Unless that material has a disclaimer on it allowing a copy for personal use.

18. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Kinko's is adamant about that, killed any books we wanted to copy for a college class, even when the professor who wrote it, said in the disclaimer that copying was allowed

still kills me

19. Gil

Gil Active Member

The Mind Police are watching and listening....,