Scaled Spoke Wheel Progress

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Gil, Dec 7, 2005.

  1. Gil

    Gil Active Member

    Some progress has been made on scale spoke wheel construction. The photo below shows the culmination of all the different media types which has taken awhile to orchestrate. Although not strictly "perfect scale" it's close which was the focus on this round of development. The next revision will focus on true scale and includes a few changes to the fixturing and construction method of the rim.

    The wheel is 47.5 mm in diameter (approximately 1:16 scale 700 mm wheel). Construction materials consist of tracing paper, card stock, 2 mm corrugated cardboard, 4 lb. test monofillament fishing line, cyanoacrylate glue, PVA glue, magic model filler, hard acrylic paste, testors non-rub aluminum and brass paints, black gouache paint (tempura/poster paint) and matte acrylic sealer.


  2. Leif Oh

    Leif Oh Member

    Warm congratulations, Gil!

    I took the liberty of immediately reporting your latest progress also over at The efforts by Eric & yourself will have far-reaching repercussions all over the card-modelling world, I am sure.

    Best, Leif

    PS. Dear old friends at Cardmodels. net - anytime you feel something here would be worth mentioning also on the European scene, please don't hesitate to give me a heads-up; I am sort of responsible over there for keeping the trans-Atlantic link alive and healthy. Best to all, Leif
  3. Bowdenja

    Bowdenja Active Member

    I love the valve stem! Truely great work Gil. Y'all keep pushing that envelope back, maybe one day some of us will catch up!

  4. Ashrunner

    Ashrunner Member

    Gil...that's...well...that's amazing...

    Just what is that tyre made of? And if not a gasket of some type, how?
  5. Gil

    Gil Active Member

    Leif, thanks for the help! The final revision should yield the results needed to finish the tutorial. I have a small bucket of wheels of various sizes in all sorts of conditions, I call it my "Wheel Barrel". I might put a couple of handles on it and a single wheel out front to make a model play on words.

    John, the valve stem adds realism to the structure. The eye expects to see a valve stem when it sees a tire so I put one on it.

    Ash, achieving the look of rubber was a significant outcome. It consists of five layers of thin corrugated cardboard laminated together with 3M #77 spray adhesive. This was rough sanded to shape and then filled with acrylic modeling paste and sanded. It was then painted with white tempera (gouache/poster paint) and sanded. A final coat of black tempera was applied followed by fixing it with matte acrylic spray. The sidewall decal was printed on 25% rag vellum (tracing paper), cutout and applied with PVA. A light matte acrylic spray then sealed it on. You'll notice some of the edges of the decal showing in the photo. I'll "edge color" them out from now on.

    An interesting point is that when I pick the wheel up to examine it the expectation is that it will feel like rubber. So the "suspension of disbelief" has been achieved, at least for me anyway...,


Share This Page