Scale Test Car???

beezerv

Jun 19, 2006
NJ/CT
I saw this car in the store and couldnt resist buying it. However, I have no idea what it actually is. Anyone familiar with this type of car or know what its purpose is? Thanks for any info.

14.jpg

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
A scale test car is used to test and calibrate track scales. Railroads weigh cars to determine how much load is being carried so that they can charge for it and to see that the car isn't overloaded. The test car has a fixed weight, and I think there are removable weights so that a range of the scale can be checked.
The car probably has no brakes so that they don't wear down or wear the wheels down. The car is moved in a train just ahead of the caboose.
We talked about scales in another thread -- a pair of rails are laid on the scale just beside the running rails. A set of points switches the car to be weighed onto the scale rails. The regular rails are used for the locomotive and any cars not to be weighrd.

beezerv

Jun 19, 2006
NJ/CT
Thanks for the great explanation. I had never seen one before but I guess they must be fairly common.

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
I have more about this specific model in the January UMTRR. See the archive edition now on the website (link below).

While that paint scheme is unusual, having both B&O reporting marks and a CSX logo, it is legitimate and prototype photos do exist.

BTW I have been told that the car is sold out at Micro-Trains, although that usually means that it's not completely unavailable at train stores.

That car, by the way, is SMALL! It's not much larger than an N Scale truck (the one that goes under freight cars).

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
The Micro-Trains car is a somewhat standard design, though I don't know who made the prototype car. Other roads took it upon themselves to build such cars in their own shops, such as this one on the steel-hauling Cuyahoga Valley in Cleveland.

ScaleTestClevelandOH10-7-06.jpg

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
While that paint scheme is unusual, having both B&O reporting marks and a CSX logo, it is legitimate and prototype photos do exist.
I guess it must have been repainted in the brief time in the 1980s when the CSX name but not reporting mark was in use.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
CSX still has some like that. I saw one in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia back in 2003.

beezerv

Jun 19, 2006
NJ/CT
Has anyone seen one of these cars in motion? I'm wondering if it is realistic to have it at the back of a mixed freight train or if I should just find a place on a siding to leave it.

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
The scale test car that Micro-Trains is offering is a standard design-- at least relatively speaking. There are a number of roads for which the model should be good.

chessie4155

Mar 17, 2006
Vincennes, Ind.
www.geocities.com
beezerv said:
Has anyone seen one of these cars in motion? I'm wondering if it is realistic to have it at the back of a mixed freight train or if I should just find a place on a siding to leave it.

I was thinking that they were to be at the rear just in front the caboose, and there was a 30mph speed restriction on the train that had them. I am not sure all roads did this. Others on here might be able to correct me on this.

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
That's generally true... the idea is not to subject the car to stresses and strains to the extent possible.

I'm sure that there are exceptions to this and there's a photo out there somewhere...

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
BTW I heard from one of my subscribers today that despite the car's small size, it tracks with no issues in a train behind and just in front of the caboose, where it would normally be run in a train as we've been discussing here.