Sayu 2AZ

Discussion in 'Armory & Military' started by Darwin, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Darwin

Darwin Member

2. charliec

charliec Active Member

Not in paper - wouldn't know about plastic.

It would make a nice design challenge though.

The 406mm SPG was the Russian response to the US 280mm "Atomic Cannon" of the 1950s. There was an even bigger gun used - the 420mm gun/mortar on the same chassis.

3. Gil

Gil Active Member

The Atomic Cannons were another of the contradictions of war from this period. The U.S. 280 mm Mark 9 Gun could "lob" an atomic shell far enough (7 miles) to make it slightly safer for the crew maning the weapon. You have to imagine that windage must have played a big part in the weapons use. The following site has a sobering quicktime clip of the actual test in 1953.

4. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

If you ever have the opportunity you should stop at the Atomic Museum in Albuquerque New Mexico they have an atomic cannon on display. One of the displays in this museum is a military toy called a Davy Crockett this was a bazooka that fired a tactical nuke. I always wanted to see the manual on this thing the firing sequence must have been something like:
    Pull trigger.
    Firmly grab your legs.
    Put head between knees.
    Kiss your butt goodbye.

Jim Nunn
  5. Maurice

Maurice Member

During the Cold War it was of course essential to develop all available weapons systems to their ultimate utility.
    These were presumably the offerings of the Department for Friendly Fire.

6. Gil

Gil Active Member

I agree. The nuclear tipped Corporal wasn't much better (7-12 miles). I've visited the museum twice and think the backpack nuke is a pretty interesting reminder of thermonuclear portability.