Sawmill Carriage pictures

willy4

Jan 17, 2008
Que Canada
Taken at the International Plowing Match which is held once a year in Ont Canada.

Bill

Attachments

• carriage1.jpg
    carriage1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 36
  • carriage2.jpg
    carriage2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 35
  • carriage3.jpg
    carriage3.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 28

beamish

HO & Steam Engineer
Jan 11, 2007
Saskatoon,SK,Canada
Steaming

Here are a few more.

Taken from the Manitoba Agricultural Museum in Austin, Manitoba. I spent a week at the end of July Running a Case 65 steam engine (Seen on the threshing machine in the big arena) and threshing. . You might have to dig a bit to find the saw mill ones but I am sure some of the others should interest a few out there.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mbeamish/Austin2008

Same deal with these ones. They are from the Western Development Museum in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. I spent a weekend in July running the Garr Scott(red and black) Steam engine on this sawmill and planer. There are also a bunch of other pics from the show there.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mbeamish/Pionera2008

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
I aws at the Thresherman' show in Adams Tn (near Dr. Toms old cabin in the woods) I got some photos of a steam traction engine hooked up to a sawmill. I have and old Matchbox tractionengine, which I want to use with some modified pieces of a Woodlands scenics rural sawmill to attemt to replicanr a little mill like this. don't know where I will put it my own RR has two sawmills on it allready. pictures to follow.

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
from the annual Thresherman's Show in Adams Tn.

here are the promised Pictures.

I have two matchbox models of yesteryear traction engines, one lives up @ a logging scene above Terrapin, and the other has been parked up near Stateline. the parked one has a roof, and is larger and will probably power the sawmill I'm thinking of.

I probably won't try to start untill I have gotten the Surry _Parksr project done.

Bill Nelson

Attachments

• smlsttrswmll#5.jpg
    smlsttrswmll#5.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 20
  • SMLsttrkswml#4.jpg
    SMLsttrkswml#4.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 11
  • SMLsttrkswml#3.jpg
    SMLsttrkswml#3.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 12
  • SML stmtrkswml#2.jpg
    SML stmtrkswml#2.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 15

ytter_man

Jun 12, 2008
Montana
I think i posted these elsewhere on the zealot, but they're from a trip to a Threshing Bee i took last year.

Threshingbee002.jpg

Threshingbee003.jpg

Threshingbee004.jpg

Threshingbee005.jpg

Threshingbee006.jpg

Threshingbee007.jpg

Threshingbee008.jpg

Threshingbee011.jpg

Threshingbee012.jpg

Threshingbee013.jpg

Threshingbee017.jpg

Threshingbee019.jpg

Threshingbee020.jpg

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
OK - I'm going to go ahead and ask a stupid question:

On those long belt runs, what keeps the belts from slipping laterally?

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
I think the width of the belt will make the belt want to track true. as long as the belt is true, and the axles of the pullies are perfectly parralel. I'm sure there is a arcane art to setting these things up. there is a tensioner on the steam tractor setup I observed the other weekend, and that is modeled in the Woodlands Scenic's rural saw mill kit that I may rob some parts from. Perhaps there is some adjustminets on the tensioner

I need to study the pieces of the Keystone saw mill carriage I have for the Berghausen-Shoemaker Mill in Crooked Creek. Keystone's bandsaw machinery are very very nice castings. I have most of what I need for the big mill, Perhaps building the machinery for the big mill would make more sence than scratchbuilding a third sawmill, which I don't know where I would put it yet.

ytter_man

Jun 12, 2008
Montana
The belts do take a bit of skill to align with a tractor. They like this method rather than using the stationary engine, as the tractors can be put in sheds whereas you can see what happened to the big one powering the A-frame which pulls logs off the deck and onto the carriage, bad winters and wet summers. They quit using it years ago and now 3 guys with peaveys roll logs forward.

Then again, it's only used once a year (this year i think something broke down) and there probably should be a shed built over the whole thing.

Fascinating to watch in action! :thumb:

Sawdust

Nov 11, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio

Hey Mountain Man the only stupid ? is the one never asked. If you notice the wheels that the belts travel on are very much wider than the belt. Perfect alignment between these are impossible due to many factors,vibration,dirt,moisture & tension changes. With normal use the tracking of these belts are constantly changing & because of the wide width of these wheels the belt normally corrects it's self. With caution if you have a belt sander turn it upside down & change the tracking slightly & watch the belt it corrects itself very quickly. It will go to one side or the other but equals out between wheels. If the wheels on the sander were much wider like those on the mill the change in tracking wouldn't be a problem.
Hey Ytter Man great pics, I really enjoyed them.

ytter_man

Jun 12, 2008
Montana
Thanks guys.

Here's a bonus few pics of various other pieces at that particular Bee.

Threshingbee027.jpg

Threshingbee031.jpg

Threshingbee032.jpg

Similar to a donkey's winch:

Threshingbee069.jpg

Threshingbee072.jpg

Threshingbee073.jpg

Threshingbee074.jpg

Threshingbee076.jpg

Threshingbee075.jpg

Threshingbee078.jpg

My grandfather (may he RIP) took me to these shows as a wee one in the early 90's, and they were a lot more active back then. The sawmill and all the other equipment was much better taken care of, and the area where the donkey winch is was full of old stationary engines ranging from 1/4HP to a monster 20HP single cylinder with a 8ft flywheel. Not to mention 5-4 traction engines under full steam. 50-60 old internal combustion tractors, now there's one steamer and maybe 20 IC, 3-4 stationaries. This town's bee has been sadly declining, lack of interest in my generation... :cry:

beamish

HO & Steam Engineer
Jan 11, 2007
Saskatoon,SK,Canada

Usually the pulleys are not perfectly flat on top. They usually have a high spot right in the middle. Naturally, as the belt rotates on the pulley it tends to ride up to the high-spot.

Also belt dressing is applied to make the belt that much stickier. This can make a big difference and reduce slippage. For steam traction engines you will note the ones that work on a belt usually do not have painted flywheels. The paint tends to be slippery and wears off quickly.

On long belts it is common to apply a twist to the belt. This will help reduce the flapping from heavy winds.

ytter_man,
Thanks for the pics. I always enjoy seeing a Case traction engine. I am going to guess that it is a 25-75. I did notice a vast amount of rust on the sides of the boiler and firebox. Does this engine run? From what I can see it looks to be in good shape(gears) but could use a paint job.