Sawmill building plans

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by mike franks, Nov 27, 2001.

1. mike franks

mike franks New Member

:confused: Where can Ifind sawmill building plans,such as specs for conveyors and so on? I'd like to scrath build one if all possible. thanks
  2. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Mike, and welcome to the gauge.
    I can supply you with drawing for the photo below, this was scartchbuilt, and detailed inside.
    Shamus
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• saw2.jpg
      saw2.jpg
      File size:
      97.6 KB
      Views:
  3. billk

billk Active Member

Mike - Welcome to The Gauge. (Told'ya Shamus could help!)
    Bill K
  4. mike franks

mike franks New Member

thanks Shamus. Yes you were right,bill . Iappreciate the help you all give me. These forums are just what i need. Thanks all. MERRY CHRISTMAS.......
  5. mike franks

mike franks New Member

Hey Shamus, what do i need to do to receive these plans? that's a very good job. Ihave a building partially built, but I don't know what the conveyor or cutters layouts are suited. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I need help with how to build the saws and conveyor systems. thanks
  6. looking too

I've posted the same question on other forums. I don't have the url handy but one response was the government site of historic information. They do have the plans but they are done in a protective mode of a TIF file. Basically you can't print them even if you copy them to your local drive. There might be a work around but I haven't had the time to search that out.
    I also bought a set of saw mill plans from The Underground Railway Press but they are hard to read and not complete. Let me know if you find a good source.
  7. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Inside the sawmill you will need the following items.

1 - Live rolls
    2 - Cut off saw bench
    3 - Transfer table
    4 - Band saw
    5 - Edger
    6 - Shotgun carriage.
    All the above can be either bought from

http://www.walthers.com/

or scratchbuilt. For drawing of all these items, Walthers Catalogue has them, most of the items come from Keystone locomotive works.
    Hope this helps.
    Shamus
    [​IMG]
  8. PaulT you still active over here?

Hi Paul,

Just checking to see if your still active on The Gauge. I doubt I'll be doing much over o RR-L as the language and everything is starting to deteriate, sad.

Let me know if your still here.

Walt
  9. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Still here

Hi Walt,
    Still here for now, I tend to spend far too much time on the net instead of getting on with things. Need a long rest I think.
    shamus
    [​IMG]
  10. Hey Paul,

That's the problem I was having and then the fracus started over on RR-L forum.:( Some people can't just have fun with out going after some one. No one said anything to me but the tone was getting so negative and there were Emails being sent around with just discusting language and acusations. I figured I'd pull the plug for a while and maybe in doing so wake a few people up to "clean up the act" or others would be leaving also.

I intend to lerch in the background and post one in a while but nothing like I was doing.

When does your article come out? And which mag was it again?

Walt
  11. BDC

BDC Member

12. farmer ron

farmer ron Member

Mike and others, I ordered the book on Sawmills, went and checked the PO Box yesterday and was not there. When it arrives I will let you know if there are any plans etc Ron.
  13. farmer ron

farmer ron Member

Mike, and others, sorry for the delay but have been busy with many things other than this site and rring. I got the book,
    Sawmill Modeling by Morgan Griffiths, $19.95 (US) with postage etc was about $26.00 Canadian. Well worth it, explains the internal workings of small to medium size sawmills from 1850 to 1960 of Northern California. The same style have been build all over the west coast of North America. Excellent coverage on internal workings and lots of diagrams on individual parts and their workings. To me, and anyone interested in logging a well worth book to get. Ron.
  14. Michael Kiessling

Michael Kiessling New Member

Hay,..thanks the mill looks great
  15. Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson Well-Known Member

Keystone locomotive works makes parts for all the guts of a band saw, band saw , cut off saws , lice rolls, carriage ect. ; all you need to detail the interior of a band saw mill in Ho. The shape of the mill is determined by the machinery that goes inside I have some of these to add to my sawmill building (look in the logging section. These white metal castings are very fine, like all they Keystone stuff I have ever seen. thie instructions show how they work together. I think Weisman Model services has sawmill machinery in O, and so does another outfit ( Western Scale models?) I'll have to research that for you if you work in O scale .

Bill Nelson
  16. Bill Nelson

There are plans available for the Sturgin (sp?) sawmill in California a small turn of the last century mill that was built with used machinery, It is small though, small enough it never waranted a rail siding.

Bill Nelson
  17. BlueMacGyver

BlueMacGyver New Member

18. Bill Nelson

Blue MacGuyver doesn't seem know where he is posting. i did see an add for Ron's books, that included a series of industrial archeology books, that included books on several saw mills. these appear to be 20-30 page spiral books with elevations and site maps, perhaps very useful in making exact models, or gaining a thorough understanding of the process so a credible design could be whipped up from whole cloth.

Bill Nelson
  19. gray summit lines

gray summit lines New Member

wow awesome, i want those plans,,,, i have a class A climax that needs a home,, want to do a logging camp / sawmill scene some of that would fit right in

[​IMG]
  20. Don7

Don7 Member

Sawmills

I used to inspect sawmills for taxation purposes.

I can tell you that no two are alike, smilar yes but every one from the old mills built in the 1950's to the newer mills.

There have been a lot of sawmills close in recent years as they become more efficient and produce more, there is limited supply of standing timber and now many of the consumers are importing whole logs and finishing them at mills of the log purchasers. Asian and European mainly.

Converyor used to be all over the mill sites, hauling hog fuel (mainly bark) which was more or less waste.

Chips for Pulp mills were often produced at many sawmills, where there odds and ends would end up.

The new mills are a site to behold, where years ago there were say 100 men working in the mill, just about everything now is automated, this starts with the logs coming in on the log decks, they are x-rayed and rotated so as to achieve the greatest number of cuts of what ever the most expensive dimension lumber can be produced from that log.

I have been in a mill that had over a hundred workers in the 1980's where there is now perhaps two dozen workers. And these mills produce twice the lumber that the old mills used to produce.

You will be able to find pictures from Google on the old mills. You can measure the various buildings.