Saw the UP Steam Engine Challenger today.

jcoop1

Mar 18, 2005
Hi all.

Sorry no pics about this, but just wanted to share a little bit of my day and give a BIG THUMBS UP to the Union Pacific.

I know that allot of time we love to hate the UP. With thier big bully mind set at times and the UP models costing us more than some other road name.

Before today I thought the same way. Today I stoped by the Roseville Ca. Yard and saw the UP Steam Challenger. WHAT A BEAST.... I don't know if any words can really describe the feeling that you have when you stand next to this monster. It is one thing to see it in pictures and video, but when you can touch it and look down it's length.... that is something else.

As a bonus the Heritage Western Pacific was with it. I knew the challenger was there but I had no idea that the WP flagged diesel would be there.

So I have to give UP a break. ya they are a pain sometimes, but who else is out there running steam? And leting you up close to the challenger plus walking through thier newest Diesel. I know it is all for publicity but I will remember this day for along time.

Yes I did spend a few bucks at the gift shop car, but hey when else was I going to get on one? I think I will be buying the Kato UP 12 car Passenger set now. I was starting to get turned off of them and looking at the GW or SP, but seeing the colors in person sold it for me.

It may be unpopular but,,,,

THANK YOU
UNION PACIFIC.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I saw a UP Bg Boy at the National Museum of Transportation inSt. Louis.
I stood beside it, walked from one end to the other and back.
You are right, untill you stand next to one of these monsters, you have no idea of their size.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Did you take in the Ca State Railroad Museum while you were there in Sacto? They have one of S.P.s cab forwards on display there that is even bigger than the challenger. It doesn't run of course, same reason that none of the big boys run, too expensive to feed the beasts!

jcoop1

Mar 18, 2005
Hey Russ, I live just east of Sacramento. So I can go anytime. One of theese days........ I will get there.

Today I got to see it leave from the Roseville Yard and then raced ahead of it to get a look at it running at full steam. Lots of fun. Even the wife was excited
see it. Great day