Saw Mill Kit

Discussion in 'Logging, Mining and Industrial Railroads' started by Plywood Central, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Plywood Central

Plywood Central New Member

I made my decision and went with the Lucas Sawmill.

JV Models - Lucas Sawmill -- Scale 50 x 95'
    Based on the historic Haliburton Sawmills, this Craftsman-style kit has
    board-by-board construction over timber framing. Includes mill, log
    deck, machine shop, racks, benches, lumber & more. Quality pine &
    basswood, full instructions with templates, scenery details & color
    photo. Scale 50 x 95'.

It is a bit larger so I am hoping my railroad can support. I hope it
    turns out half as good as Bobs.
  2. Kurgan

Kurgan New Member

Where did you find it?
  3. UPJunkie

UPJunkie Member

4. sledge57

sledge57 New Member

:thumb: I like it, good lookin sawmill
  5. Kurgan

Kurgan New Member

6. Plywood Central

Plywood Central New Member

7. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

It looks like a real photo, I mean real life.

Some of you guys have tremendous abilities.
    My hat is off to you.
  8. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

I realize it's been 8 months since this thread was opened but I'm looking to pick up this kit as well but I need exact dimensions. I know that the building is 95 X 50 scale feet but I Know the building is not exactly square so can anyone tell me the actual shape and dimensions? Inches, cm or scale feet doesn't matter, I can figure that out.
  9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

) scale: 95' x 50' = 23.75" x12.5"

HO scale: 13 1/16" x 6 7/8"

If you need smaller scales, let me know.

that is going to be a humongous building if you're an On3'er!

For precise dimensions of the building, you can usually ask your LHS, or check out the building libraries in programs like XTrkCad.
  10. Glen Haasdyk

Thanks, I ordered the kit this past week and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival.
  11. Glen Haasdyk

I got the sawmill kit yesterday. The building looks really good and challenging but the interior is a little dissapointing to me. The is hardly any machinery and no castings provided other than three barrels and a couple windows made out of plastic. The boiler and steam engine is represented by a block of wood and a dowel. The shotgun carriage is not provided but there are plans for the tracks and two peices of metal rod are in the kit to represent the carrige rails. you are expected to fabricate the rest of the machinery yourself from anything extra out of the kit. so I'm planning on picking up woodland scenics rural sawmil and canabalizing that kit for some of the machinery and fabricating the rest myself. I'l probably replace the boiler and steam engine out of the kit for something that looks a bit better as well.
  12. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

This happens all too frequently. My association with GCLaser has made me aware that if a photo contains any details other than those that come with the kit, the customer is disappointed by the omission. It requires the purchaser to read the contents description, before purchasing the kit. For our (GCLaser) part, we try to insure that catalog photos of our products do not contain extra details, and that if they do, a disclaimer advises the purchaser that those details are not provided, and where we can, we try to include the source of the extra details.
    We look at it this way, You buy our kit, and by the time you are ready to add the extra details, the added expense is less shocking, than the increased price of the kit would be. Besides, most of us older modelers, have a lot of "detail parts" in boxes, or parts bins somewhere under the layout. Most of us have seen the oft repeated phrase, "Figures, vehicles, and scenery not included". In this case, it appears that "scenery" details are included.
  13. rfmicro

rfmicro Member

For what ever reason I bought two of the JV Sawmills - a real disapointment when you open the box to see all the empty space and no guts to the interior. Stay away from WS Rural Sawmill. The white metal castings are down right terrible. The Danby sawmill ($27 up) is much better and their castings are 100% better. If you want to go a higher price ($149.00) than the Sierra West "No Frills" HO Saw Mill Hardware Series kit is much better still, but doesn't include a boiler.

I'm just sorry I didn't read your post sooner.

Trent Mulkern
  14. Glen Haasdyk

I've already built a woodland scenics sawmill on another part of the layout. Where I agree that the castings need a bit of work I am happy with the finished results. I'm mostly interested in the cariage and the saw machinery for it anyway, I'll probably fabricated the rest.