Savoai-Marchetti S.55 flying-boat, free 1 :72 paper model

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Bob43, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Bob43

Bob43 Model Designer Extrodinaire Cornerstone Member

Hello everyone,

This model gave me much fun in the design, and I hope it gives you the same joy. A lovely and interesting plane.
    “The Savoia-Marchetti S.55 was a double-hulled flying-boat produced in Italy beginning in 1924. Shortly after its introduction it began setting records for speed, payload, altitude and range. It featured many innovative design features: Al the passengers were placed in the twin hulls, but the pilot and crew captained the plane from a cockpit in the thicker section of the wing between the 2 hulls. The S.55 had two inline counter-rotating propellers achieved by mounting the twin engines back to back. The engines were canted sharply at an upward angle. Two wire-braced booms connected the triple-finned tail structure to the twin hulls and wing. Many variants were manufactured.“ (Wikipedia)
    ……. As always, on my home page
  2. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

Wonderful! thank you very much for such a great and unusual model of one of my much loved flying boats.
  3. Bob43

It is, and was, a pleasure.
  4. Bhelliom

Bhelliom Member

Ditto, Bob! Thank You, Thank You! One just can't have too many flying boats!

Scott K.
  5. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Wow!! Talk about an iconic craft. Someone else, I forget who, was talking about making one of these and "womf, dere it is" !! Yours is Free too!! You rule Bob!!

6. Eric Ferguson

Eric Ferguson Member

WOW!!!! Mentioned the S.55 almost in passing and here it is less than a month later. THANKS Bob!!!!!!! Beautiful model!! You mentioned variations. Just saw one a couple of days ago. Looked like the same wing/hull/tail configuration, but with three engines abreast, atop the center section. Different model number as well. Again Thanks!!
  7. Bob43

Yes Eric, thanks to you.
  8. pipin

pipin New Member

Great! I was searching for a S.55 and here it is!

9. Bob43

Happy to oblige!