Savoai-Marchetti S.55 flying-boat, free 1 :72 paper model

Bob43

Model Designer Extrodinaire Cornerstone Member
Hello everyone,

This model gave me much fun in the design, and I hope it gives you the same joy. A lovely and interesting plane.
“The Savoia-Marchetti S.55 was a double-hulled flying-boat produced in Italy beginning in 1924. Shortly after its introduction it began setting records for speed, payload, altitude and range. It featured many innovative design features: Al the passengers were placed in the twin hulls, but the pilot and crew captained the plane from a cockpit in the thicker section of the wing between the 2 hulls. The S.55 had two inline counter-rotating propellers achieved by mounting the twin engines back to back. The engines were canted sharply at an upward angle. Two wire-braced booms connected the triple-finned tail structure to the twin hulls and wing. Many variants were manufactured.“ (Wikipedia)
……. As always, on my home page www.bobscardmodels.com

Gixergs

Jul 10, 2007
Wonderful! thank you very much for such a great and unusual model of one of my much loved flying boats.

Z

Zathros

Wow!! Talk about an iconic craft. Someone else, I forget who, was talking about making one of these and "womf, dere it is" !! Yours is Free too!! You rule Bob!!

PHOTO1_Savoia.JPG

Eric Ferguson

Sep 13, 2005
WOW!!!! Mentioned the S.55 almost in passing and here it is less than a month later. THANKS Bob!!!!!!! Beautiful model!! You mentioned variations. Just saw one a couple of days ago. Looked like the same wing/hull/tail configuration, but with three engines abreast, atop the center section. Different model number as well. Again Thanks!!