Saving Ink when (re-)printing PDF parts!

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by rlwhitt, Nov 11, 2006.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Hi all,

Anyone printing parts from PDF files might be in need of re-printing when the dog chews up a part or in the very unlikely event that you mess something up and need to start over. ;)

The rest of you gurus might already know this, but a while back I discovered that you can selectively reprint only parts of a PDF file, thus saving massive amounts of ink.

Keep in mind that this only works if the PDF is not password protected from copying using the Snapshot tool.

If you use the Snapshot tool and select/capture an area of the PDF page you are obviously copying graphic content to the clipboard, but in addition to that if you then immediately go into the print dialog you see that only the selected portion is selected for printing as well!

You must use Page Scaling = None or else the small part will be blown up to fill the page. Obviously this means that the original full page print would have to have been printed the same way or else the dimensions will not match.

Hope this saves someone some ink!

2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Thank you Rick, you saved me some future ink!
    I've just been reprinting whole pages to get one part.

I do save the rest of the printed page though, in my "Scrap" folder, for use in laminating formers.

I hate wasting card stock as well as ink.

3. hpept

hpept Member

Sometimes, when i need to print only some pdf parts, i import them into Photoshop and rearrange the parts so that i can save ink. Usually i do this also to clean up pages full of writings and images that are not parts, which would otherwise waste alot of ink.