saving and printing

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by paper_dude, May 18, 2007.

1. paper_dude

paper_dude New Member

Solving the printer settings has allowed the model to retain the detail in the textures:

View attachment 11316

The smaller APC now has all the details of the larger one.

Thanks Maurice for your suggestion. I had already scaled the model, though, in order to achieve the desired size. However, the BMP that is exported is still incorrect. The BMP fill the entire page, while the one that Pepakura prints is only taking up about 40% of the page - the preferred size. I think the BMP is being enlarged by Windows. I'm not sure.

I see many models done in PDF format. Is that a better way? Should I not be exporting to BMP, and instead PDF?

BTW, the printer mod is done in Thailand. I'm living in Bangkok now, and these types of printer modifications are everywhere. I don't know where else they sell them, the first time I saw this mod was in a photo shop in Thailand. I then went to a local PC mall and there were many vendors selling this setup. It took the guy about an hour to install it - it doesn't look easy to do. Holes have to be made in the top of the ink cartridges, then the tubes have to be inserted, then the air has to be bled out of the lines - it's a major effort.

Once I got it back to my apartment, I had to play with it a little bit to finally get it working right. Now it works like a champ! I probably would have gone through 2 sets of color ink carts with all the printing I've done already. It's paid for itself, thankfully!
  2. paper_dude

paper_dude New Member

Oh yeah, I will try building it smaller!
  3. Maurice

Maurice Member

This is good.
    I've never used textures in pepa so can't help there, but definitely try printing to pdf and see what happens.
    If you haven't got software I strongly recommend the free demo of Win2PDF from
    works great for this sort of stuff and might do some good.
    The printer mod sounds like the Thais being their inventive selves again. :)
  4. rowiac

rowiac Member

You can find the Continuous Ink Systems (CIS) on eBay for about $40 - $55US. SuperJetUSA is one eBay store that has them. They even look like they have the same containers as paper_dude's, but you will have to install it yourself. I haven't tried it, but I believe at least one other member on the forum got one.

Regarding which format to export your model to, PDF would almost always be preferable to BMP for at least two reasons, IMO: (1) PDFs are compressed so the file size is smaller, (2) PDFs can take vector graphics from Pepakura, which will allow up and downscaling without any loss of detail, unlike BMP.

5. paper_dude

paper_dude New Member

Thanks for the tip Maurice, I'm checking out thier website now. How is thier product different from Adobe PDF creator?

Isn't the Adobe version free, versus the Dane Prairie version? I was able to shell out $40 for Pepakura, but $75 seems a bit much. Does anyone else here use Adobe free PDF converter? I installed it but I haven't used it yet (I stopped when it wanted to change my printer settings).
  6. Maurice

Maurice Member

Hey pd I only recommended the free demo version.
    It adds an extra blank page with a tag line which can be ignored for many purposes.
    'fraid I can't identify for certain which prog you mean by "Adobe PDF creator" but if it comes from Adobe it's probably overpriced intrusive bloatware even if it is free. (What me, biased ? Never.:grin:)
    There are quite a number of these printer emulators out there, some free such as

Who knows, it might be possible to get top quality, free, unmarked pdf's by printing all but the last page of a demo Win2 document through Primo.
  7. paper_dude

paper_dude New Member

I got the pdf creator software to work - and quite beautifully, I might add. It's called PDFCreator, and it's free under the GNU license. I got it from:

It works sweet with no extra page or anything. Maybe it will do well for some of you guys out there. It seems to have a bunch of features, it might be worth it to check it out.
  8. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I used FreePDF, which should be a similar program. I agree that PDF format is very easy to deal with when it comes to printing