saving and printing

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by paper_dude, May 18, 2007.

1. paper_dude

paper_dude New Member

Hi everyone, sweet forum. I'm new to card modelling. I built my first cardmodel of a howitzer in the original Sketchup that I have (from an old 2D version of the software). It didn't come out so great, but it was a nice start.

Now I use Sketchup 6 and Pepakura 2. I've made a simple M113 style APC and a CH-47 Chinook. Both have come out pretty nice using textures made with MS Paint.

When I go to print, however, it says that my printer settings don't match, and it asks if I want to adjust it. I always say ok, and it prints out fine.

When I export the model to a BMP file, it's HUGE. Like 18 sheets of paper. I have to force it to shrink down to one page.

I would like to distribute the model at some point, but on only a single sheet of paper, preferably PDF, but that's not a requirement.

Anyone know how to make Pepakura 2 save the BMP image to a one sheet size BMP?

Any help appreciated! :)

BTW, the scale of the model in Sketchup is:
    Length: 360 cm
    Width: 180 cm
    Height: 150 cm

I just chose those numbers to work from for no particular reason. Maybe I should design the model to a smaller size?
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Great to hear from you paper dude!
    I am sorry, I wish I could help you out but you will have to wait for one of the real designers.
    All I can do is welcome you, so Welcome to the forum!

I started playing around with sketchup a couple weeks ago and although I am thoroughly impressed, I am still a novice at it.
    I think it is a great program though and has been the easiest to learn out of all of them.
    I am sure you will get some help shortly, just hang in there.

3. paper_dude

paper_dude New Member

more info

Thanks Amazyah!

I've included some images that might help a little.

Not bad for a generic APC, huh?

It's my second card model creation -ever! In fact, it's my first real 3d model with textures, thanks to Sketchup. Textures are easy to apply and manipulate with thier software.

You might notice, in the 2nd largest APC model, the textures have been shrunk too much, and the detail (especially in the hatches) have become lost. I will have to mod the texture scale down a bit (smaller BMP) in order to retain the resolution for the scale of the model. The desired size is roughly 3cm high (the 2nd largest one).

View attachment 11307

View attachment 11308

How to print without this message?

How to save/export a BMP of the completed model without it taking 18 sheets of paper?

Thanks all!
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Well, I'm not positive because of very little experience in Sketch-up, but just looking at what messages your getting, does give some clues.
    To me, there is definitely something wrong with your printer settings.
    I don't know what exactly but I know it isn't sketchup causing your problem.

I'm not positive on whats going on, or how to fix it, but I would bet my next paycheck that it's the printer settings.

I wish I could straighten it out for you but we will have to wait for someone with more expertise to come along.

By the way, nice start on the model!

I haven't figured out how to get my own textures into sketchup yet, so you are one step ahead of me.

5. paper_dude

paper_dude New Member

Go to this Sketchup tutorial:

Number 10 has a great video on how to apply textures (it actually talks about photos, but I used what it said to apply a BMP to my 3d object).

It's REALLY easy! And the other video tutorials are pretty good too.

Hope this helps!
  6. paper_dude

paper_dude New Member

I'm using an Epson Stylus CX2800 series printer.

Paper Source: Sheet
    Paper Type: Plain papers
    Quality: Fine
    Document Size: Letter 8 1/2 x 11 in
    Orientation: Portrait

There doesn't seem to be an option for 'card stock,' so I don't know if that's needed.
  7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Cool, thanks for the help on applying textures!

I have a Lexmark X1150 and I have never used your type of printer before so that kind of throws me to the wind. sorry.

I wish I could give you an answer.

Is there any other way of going through your programs to reach more printer settings.
    I know there are a couple of ways of reaching mine, each with different results and settings.

8. paper_dude

paper_dude New Member

I messed with my printer settings, and seems printing borderless was the problem. No more warning message!

Now if I could just export my model in BMP format with only 1 sheet instead of 18... I don't want a huge model!

As far as printing goes...

I bought cheap card stock paper in a large pack, and I print using inexpensive ink from local sellers here. they modded my printer to use large external ink cartridges, so the cost of printing per sheet is mega-cheap!

Check out my setup:
    View attachment 11309

The Epson Stylus CX280 printer (new), the modded ink cartrige setup, and full containers of ink (they pre-filled it) was about $200.

It prints great, and while experimenting I can print many sheets without worrying so much about cost. It's also great to print lots of documents too. I print out many pages of code (for programming), and the text uses color-coding for easy reading. To print these sheets would be way too expensive on a regular cartridge-based inkjet.

I tried refillable cartridges before, and all I ended up doing was ruining the cartridge/printer and making a big mess!
  9. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

It' seems that exporting in bmp might be exploding your resolution settings.
    At least, that's what I think is the problem.
    Again, I'm back to guessing that the problem is printer settings.
    Also, again, we need an expert opinion.

I'm sorry if I'm not the one to set you straight but I think I did set you on the right path anyway.

I look forward to your progress with this model and I will be ready to build it as soon as you are!

10. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I forgot to mention also,
    I love them big ink tanks!
    I'm gonna have to see about getting my own!

11. paper_dude

paper_dude New Member

Actually, when I export my BMP from Pepakura 2, then go to print it from image viewer in Windows, it wants to print 18 sheets. I then have to force it to print to a single page.

I think it's a size issue on the model itself, but I'm not sure. I'll have to wait what others say about it.

Thanks anyway!
  12. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

You've got me buddy.
    I wish I knew the answer.
    I'm sure it's something simple. just don't know what.

13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Welcome to the fold bud! We have quite a few designers hanging around - no idea how many use pepakura though. I cant help with the questions even a bit but I wanted to say glad to have ya here.
  14. paper_dude

paper_dude New Member

Thanks Chris!
  15. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

PaperDude, try printing multiple sheets to a page in your printer settings if you really want to keep the size down
  16. paper_dude

paper_dude New Member

I'm trying to make it so when a BMP is exported that it's only on one sheet, so others won't have to deal with the problem themselves.

I tried stretching the image to a reduced percentage in Paint, but that just results in a horrible loss of detail.

I would make a small, generic APC using different measurements - then applying smaller textures, and see if that shrinks the model. But even if I do that, I won't be able to tell how big I can build another model to keep it to one sheet (This is a requirement for this model and a few others). There must be a way to scale the output.

Two options in Pepakura:

Export Development 'Single BMP per sheet,' and 'BMP File per sheet.'

Single BMP per sheet gives options for output size:
    Width (415 pix default)
    Height (333 pix default)
    Scale (100% default)
    And a label that reads (72pix/inch) (uneditable)

'BMP file per sheet' gives a message:
    "Export the unfolded pattern to a BMP file per sheet. Sequential number is added to the tail of the file name." (OK, Cancel)

I think the Single BMP per sheet option is what I need to mess with, but I don't know how to calculate what to change. I could scale the model less than 100%, but that doesn't allow me to get the desired 3cm height of the model I want.

Thanks anyways Nezard!
  17. barry

barry Active Member

I hate rescaling in bmp or any other medium so I buy a ream of cheap copy paper set pepakura to no textures print it out measure the thing, work out the rescaling factor to input back into Pepakura. When you happy print the lot out and use your scanner to load it back into your computer. Gives a lot of scrap paper but for me it is easier. No brain left I am afraid.
  18. Maurice

Maurice Member

In Ketchup build it nearer the model size, i.e. nearer to 36mm not 360cm. That way Pepa won't thing it's so large.
    You can input Barry's rescaling factor through -
    Pepa /2D pattern window/scale development.
  19. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I know there's a settin in Designer where you configure things like the paper size. I don't have it installed at the moment, so I can't get more specific.

And, how does one get that ink setup??? I have an Epson printer as well, so you got me hopes up....
  20. barry

barry Active Member

Thanks Maurice my brain leaves my fingers behind these days only write half of what I want to say :confused:

Your paragraph makes sense unlike mine:cry: