Savage 25 gearing

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by brianfj1200, Jan 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brianfj1200

brianfj1200 New Member

I have just run in my Savage 25 (4.5ltrs 16% nitro) It will now rev very high but will not change gear at all.It was changing gear OK when the carb was set rich for running in but now I have leaned out the mixture the engine is reving much better but wont change gear.Any ideas?
    This is realy driving me nuts,I have changed the gearing so it should change gear earlier but still nothing it's just stuck in the one gear and revs like crazy but it will not change gear!
    Someone help me PLEASE!
  2. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

Have you adjusted the shift point on the tranny itself yet? Turn the screw counterclockwise for an earlier shift and turn it clockwise for a later shift. Only turn it 1/4 turn at a time.
  3. brianfj1200

brianfj1200 New Member

I have adjusted the gear shift on the tranny from complete anticlockwise through to fully clockwise in 1/4 turns to no avail,still stuck in one gear!
  4. digdug72

digdug72 Member

does it shift when you richen it back up?
  5. brianfj1200

brianfj1200 New Member

Havent tried that yet as I had to strip the gearbox today coz the screw which you turn anticlockwise till it stops didnt and it ended up loose in the gearbox!Anyways it's all back together again now and running but would you believe still stuck in one gear!Everything seems fine in the gearbox,no worn or broken parts. I am a bit reluctant to richen it back up now coz it is running really well,maybe just keep trying that#@$% screw in different positions.
  6. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

Also make sure your slipper clutch is adjusted properly. If it too loose it will act OK till you really get on the throttle and then it will slip. Burning out the slipper pad and not reving high enough to actually engage the second gear... Let us know
  7. brianfj1200

brianfj1200 New Member

It appears the the screw you turn to change to earlier gear shift should have a spring and small ball bearing behind it,well mine doesnt seem to have these parts ( dont know where they gone coz it was changing gear a few days ago )Anyway it is going into the shop Wednesday to have those parts installed and hopefully will change gear!
    I will let you know how I get on after Wednesday.
  8. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

I'm glad you figured it out fella.
  9. brianfj1200

brianfj1200 New Member

Hey!now I have the spring and ball bearing in the gearbox it goes like #@$% !and changes gear.
    Many thanks to all who replied and tried to help me.
    If anyone needs any help on the gearbox I think I might be well quilified now coz I have had it out so many times.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.