Saturn V Exterior Stringer Detail.....crazy idea?

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by George B, Jun 2, 2007.

1. George B

George B Senior Member

I've been kicking around the idea of simulating the stringer detail on the exterior of the Saturn V.

Have a look at a sample I've made. I'm not sure what the best way would be to create the hundreds needed.

Any ideas or have I gone crazy?
  2. RacerX

RacerX Member

I think thats a great idea! How thick do they need to be? Could a couple sheets of heavy cardstock be laminated and then just shaved off in strips with a papercutter?
  3. dhanners

dhanners Member

It'll be time-consuming to do the whole thing, but it'd look great.

You should also head down to your local art-supply store to check out the types of corrugated paper they offer. The stuff I used on my Saturn 1b models (I think there are some photos in my gallery) would look fairly good in your scale....
  4. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

You've gone crazy. Welcome to the club.

But that gets a resounding OH YEAH! from me. :-D
  5. Ewald Haruksteiner

Ewald Haruksteiner New Member

Looks great ... and the idea isn't crazy!
    I'll do it the same way, when i'm ready with my five F1

Ewald from Austria
    (there are no kangaroos in Austria!)
  6. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Making strips in their hundreds... sounds alright if you have time :D --The result looks great though!
  7. George B

George B Senior Member

I checked out your Saturn 1B in the gallery and now know what you mean. I'll look into that, thanks!

You have a VERY impressive collection there dhanners:shock:
  8. George B

George B Senior Member

It depends, the engine fairing is not as thick (maybe two sheets) as the body (maybe three sheets) as seen here.

Hmmm, I'll have to give it a try with my paper cutter. I was thinking about stacking two Exacto blades to the correct width and using a straight edge. The paper cutter might be a whole lot quicker if I could make a jig to keep the widths consistent.
  9. dansls1

dansls1 Member

The craziest idea would be if you could get a single cut (not cross) paper shredder of the correct width...
  10. George B

George B Senior Member

Ha that would be GREAT, just keep feeding the thing.:-D
    My shredder would probably catch on fire feeding it three layers of card stock.
  11. Millimodels

Millimodels Member

I used to make model railway sleepers (railroad ties for thse in the USA) using a rasor blade bolted on a spacer to a block of wood mounted on a base. You just cut a piece of card so that it was the right length and repeatedly slid it along under the blade to cut the strips.

Robin Madge
  12. Greelt

Greelt New Member

Saturn V stringers

I admire the work you made sofar.Regarding the stringers, i have played with the idea myself but a quick count on the drawings i have gives me a total of approx. 1436 stringers in variuos sizes.Looking at that figure i did give up, but it would make a lot of difference in the final apperence of the model.

13. George B

George B Senior Member

The papercutter worked out great. You can cut a ton of these strips in minutes...gluing them on is another story however.
  14. George B

George B Senior Member

Why did you tell me there were 1436? :cry:
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I think that is a crazy spectacular idea. I think we are gonna have the guys in white jackets keeping an eye on you..... only problem is we have them spread kinda thin right now.... too many other weirdos out there building supersized models - and you know who you are...... :D
  16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

At least now you know where the end is ;)
  17. George B

George B Senior Member

There's an END!?!?
  18. RacerX

RacerX Member

hahahah you know what, i dont care how many there are, I'm gonna try it because it looks great. I mean, really, if I wanted a fast and easy model hobby I would build plastic models :razz:
  19. George B

George B Senior Member

Well I'm doing it! I started the dreaded stringer detail, why not.:twisted:

The engine fairings are now complete, and it didn't take all that long.
  20. RacerX

RacerX Member

I'm glad your posting all these ideas. I just started building the F1's a few days ago, and now I can use all your improvements too.

thanks and keep those pictures comeing :)