Saturn SA-5

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by ekuth, Sep 9, 2006.

1. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Okay, on to the interstage detailing:

This deals with parts IS-1(a-d) and parts ISTC-1.

IS-1a is a little longer than necessary because I was trying something out that didn't work. I'll fix it in a later revision. For now, just trim to fit.

First, take parts IS-1(a-d) and roll them into tubes around our handy dandy coathanger section form, as we did before. One done, pick an end. Now, we take the teeny tiny part ISTC-1 and glue it like so:

View attachment 3097

Next, we wrap around and over the tube to form it, like so:

View attachment 3098

And secure to the opposite side. Line the points up carefully:

View attachment 3099

Which gives us our completed cover:

View attachment 3100

Now, bevel the bottom end of the tube like so:

View attachment 3101

Attached Files:

2. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Here's the completed assembly (with quarter for size reference. Dont hate me!):

View attachment 3107

Now to attach them to the interstage ring. Place them like so, with the top centered in the red circle areas. Place the exhaust tubes in between the Roman numeral markings:

View attachment 3108

A closer look at centering the top in the red circles:

View attachment 3110

And a closer look at the beveling on the bottom of the exhaust tubes. We bevel them so that they'll mesh smoothly with the fairing ring on top of the fuel tank assembly.

View attachment 3109

Attached Files:

3. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

So, we look like so when we put the Jupiter Nosecone into the Interstage Ring:

View attachment 3111

A closer view. Notice the escape nozzles are offset from the exhaust tubes on the interstage. The interstage exhaust tubes line up with the white fuel lines on the fuel tank assembly, with the Roman numerals on the interstage matching those placed on the fins.

View attachment 3112

And I think that about does it for the detail kit, unless I find something else in the reference photos I think needs addressing. We'll see! :wink:

Attached Files:

4. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Wow That looks great!

Great Job! I hope you don't mind, but I am going to make a change for my build, this weekend? I am going to cut out the black semi circ. areas in the inter stage. I will reinforce to make it sturdy. With all the other detail you have provided, (It is only fitting that it be as on the money as possible).

I am very impressed with your work, and thank you very much,

5. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Thank you for taking the time, not just to design this fine piece of Space History, but for showing us how to do it.
  6. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

just a really spectacular model, and a great build diary. Thanks so much for sharing.

7. hpept

hpept Member

Fine detail at its best. Spectacular build!!!
    I must admit that i underestimated this model in the beginning :cry: , but it's coming out really great.
  8. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I'm a little puzzled by exactly what you mean here... cut out as in remove completely? Or cut out for a more 3D effect??? I've tried to make it as spot on as possible, given build constraints. The reference photo I went off of for the exterior of the interstage is below:

View attachment 3115

Now I did notice that in the color shot below, these areas seem to be missing- which led me to believe that it was a cosmetic roll pattern rather than a hollow arched area. Admittedly, information on the interstage is spotty, so if you have access to info for detailing, please let me know and I'll alter as necessary. Most of my work was based off of the black and white shot above.

View attachment 3116

Thank you all for your praise! This is my first attempt at card model design, so I'm glad it's going so well.

Attached Files:

• asd.JPG
      File size:
      51.5 KB
    • asdf.JPG
      File size:
      72.8 KB
  9. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

InterStage Info

See this link and scroll down about mid page, (Right Side).

10. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

11. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Hmmm, interesting!

Well, that would afford a better look at the spiderhead assembly that we all made our fingers bleed constructing... :-D

I imagine that it would have also allowed for the expulsion of the exhaust from the Jupiter nosecone engines. Odd how later revisions don't seem to have it. There must be some story we're missing here.

Thanks for the info, and feel free to modify away! :)
  12. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Thanks for the ok to modify.

The second stage was in a state of evol. all the way thru the early versions. The cut area went away with the next flight, (and stage upgrade). Also remember that all the flight prior to SA-5 did not go to orbit, (Upper stage was a dummy). The higher powered versions that flew later, gave birth to the Saturn IB, (and final stage for the Saturn V).

If you need more reference material, I can provide you with further links.

I am just happy as hell, that some one is taking the time to prepare these models for publishing. You may want to get with Jon Leslie. He is the man for posting this for download. His site is one of the best for models of this type. Niels or Lars might be interested too.

13. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Thanks Carl!

Yes, please by all means send me whatever links you have. I strive to make my models as accurate as possible, and it's like looking for a needle in a haystack sometimes, especially with the early Apollo era.

Once I'm through tweaking (adding one last detail bit as we speak, have it posted later tonight most likely) everything, I'll go through with a fine tooth comb and clean everything up once again. At that point, I'll release the finalized model under a different thread and provide cohesive step-by-step instructions.

I've been thinking about contacting Jon Leslie about submitting the SA-5 to his site- it was finding his site that got me started in the first place and I'd consider it an honor if he'd host my rocket for distribution.

My wife has been watching the amount of time and effort I've put into it and asked if I have thought about selling it- I must admit the thought has crossed my mind, but then one of the greatest things about cardmodeling is that so much of it is completely free. In that vein, I plan on keeping the SA-5 in the public domain for anyone to build. It's my contribution back to the community for all the wonderful models I've gotten thus far.

And most likely, I'll do the same with my upcoming early Saturns as well. Provided, of course, that I can use you guys as my guinea pigs for beta building! :twisted:
  14. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I'll Be a pig for this stuf any day, (LOL)!

Any beta that you put out I, (or My Club Kids), will be glad to build. I really want these models. Have you written to Jon yet? He posted a comment on your thread.

The following links should help in your research: (go to bottom of th page for Early Saturn Spec's). (later Saturn Refer. Material, (and Lunar Hardware).

Have a great evening,

15. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Attached Files:

16. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

It's fabulous that you are being so generous in making this available freely! I know the temptation is there to make a little bit back on your time, but kudos for the urge to give back.

I struggled with this for a while with some freeware Palm software I had started years ago (and still maintain). So many people kept bugging me to let them send money I finally relented and just put a Paypal donation only button on my download site. A very small % of the downloaders actually hit the button, but I don't care. And the ones that are hell-bent on giving me money can do so if they want. :) I did not want to require it, since that would imply a level of ongoing support that I did not know if I could provide. Many card model designers might often be in the same mind-set.

As a related observation, it's interesting that there is so much high quality "space stuff" (both real and sci-fi) out there for free and very little commercial product. Exactly the opposite of more mainstream categories like planes, warships, and armor. Not that I'm complaining mind you ;) , but I'm wondering why that is. Size of potential market perhaps? I'm looking for donation buttons for the stuff I end up building and will hit them gladly for the stuff I use - you might even want to consider having one....

Anyway, thanks again for your tireless efforts. I have not tried this build yet, but do intend to do so at some point. Good luck!

17. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Final Details!

Well, I found something else I needed to add... :roll:

I'm not sure exactly what these critters are, but they're in the reference shots, so... in for a penny, in for a pound. Good news is, I think this is the last of the details. So, next step will be to clean everything up and release the final model with step by step instructions (with pictures!)

Find the revised details PDF on page two.

Now, on with the build.

First, take parts ISRA-1 and ISRA-2 and glue them to cardstock. Once dry, cut the little buggers out and attach ISRA-1 to ISRA-2. Take and roll parts ISR-1 into tubes using our coat hanger friend... except this time, line up the edge marks to make a slightly larger diameter. So, we end with four ISR-1's and four ISRA-1/2's:

View attachment 3128

Now, take the ISR-1's and place a bead of glue inside the grey end:

View attachment 3129

Now, taking the back of your exacto, crimp the corners in to form a rounded top. If you wait a second or two for the glue to soften the paper it's a little easier.

View attachment 3130

Now, glue our little ISR-1 friends to our ISRA-1/2's. Glue these to the end with TWO lines like so:

View attachment 3131

Now, we're going to glue these little puppies right next to our fuel lines on the interstage ring:

View attachment 3132

Now in the picture above, you'll see that the fuel line is running right across the black area... which, as it turns out, is not a painted roll pattern as I thought, but an area to be cut out (thanks, Carl, for clueing me in on this!)... so the placement shown is incorrect. Sorry to those who will now have to rebuild the whole interstage assembly.... :oops:

Or, you can leave the black areas as is. Your preference. Siding with authenticity, I rebuilt mine, as the photos below will show. I think it provides an interesting effect.

Attached Files:

18. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

So, after rebuilding the interstage assembly and adding our final details, this is what we have:

View attachment 3133

Now, I just need to attach the antenna arrays (how I missed this, I don't know... lol) and we'll be done!

Attached Files:

19. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Good Morning Ekuth,

It appears from the painting that Surfduke provided that the objects you just added, mounted on the arms, are solid motor retro-rockets to slow the Saturn 1 stage for a clean separation during staging. The round tops appear to be blow-away fairings that would disintegrate when the small solid rocket motors fire. I've never noticed these details in the photos before.

Once again, you've done a phenomenal job designing this model.

20. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

They where sep. motors. This flight was a shake-down for a lot of new ideas. The cluster engine out, fuel re-route control was also tested. That came in handy for future staurn missions, (most note was Apollo 13, (F1 out on way to Orbit)). The question I have is what the interstage/2nd Satge evol. was for later flights, (Prior to the Sat IB). I would be more than happy to help research for next mission model, (Prior or later flights).

This is a great forum for design!