Saturn SA-5

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by ekuth, Sep 9, 2006.

1. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Okay, fixed...

I have uploaded the revised PDF's. For those keeping track, that's PDF #7 for the fins.

I also changed the angle of the tabs that glue to the base wrap- I didn't like the way they were matching up with the lines and this should work better. If you've built the fins and started attaching them, you'll know what I mean.

Minor changes made to PDF #3 (nosecone) as well- I increased the size of part NC-1 and NC-1a slightly to make gluing easier and to give a better fit with part NC-2. Cosmetically, I noticed the rivets on part NC-3 were out of scale with those on the other parts, so I fixed that as well.

Details, details~! :wink:

Thanks for bearing with me through the changes, and for providing feedback!
  2. the mole

the mole Member

Heres a photo of the beta model of your Saturn 1b AS-5.

Attached Files:

3. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Looks good, Mole!

I notice the nosecone color is off- did you have troubles with it? I resized it slightly in a revised PDF if you did.

Thanks for testing it! Still working on the details kit, I'll let you all know when it's ready.
  4. the mole

the mole Member

Sorry the photo not so good. My camera not so great.
    The nose cone is the same color. The camera makes it look different.

I basely built the model cut and past stile. I didn't color the edges. I just wanted to see how the parts fit and went together.

I felt the parts fit and went together well, if not easy. The hardest was shapeing the nose cone. I built my Saturn SA-5 useing 67lb card stock. I used cardboard from a cereal box to stiffen parts TA-1 andTA-1a, also EP-1and TH-1. The only place I did not go by the instruction was I glued TA-1 and TA-1a on first and used them to help me align my FT-1 and FT-2 tanks up right.

I realy had no trouble with the parts or putting them together. The instruction were clear and not hard to understand.

I want to start my second build of this Saturn so I can convert it to fly.
    I am sure this will take me a lot longer to build.

Thanks again for all the work you have done to bring this Saturn to us all.
  5. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Good Evening Ekuth,

I've been watching you develop your SA-5, and just want to thank you for all your hard work. It looks like a wonderful build, and I'm hoping to try my hand at it soon.

The SA-5 was always my favorite Saturn I since I was a kid in the '60's. It was always the most "business-like" of the rockets with it's Black nose fairing and beautiful proportions.

Good Luck,

6. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Thank you kindly!

I agree, it has a certain simple grace... a "rocketness" that has always appealed to me. The Jupiter nosecone is one of my favorites. There's just something... clean about the symmetry.

Glad folks are enjoying the build. I'm working on the details kit to flesh it out, now that I know the basic build works.

And Mole, you're absolutely right, the nosecone is the most PITA part to shape correctly, but it was the best way I could find to do it. If anyone else can come up with a better method, please let me know!
  7. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Detail Kit!!!!

Okay, I've just uploaded the first page of the detail kit to page two of the thread (it's PDF #8 ).

Don't use cardstock or you'll never be able to roll the tubes.

Now keep in mind this stuff is TINY TINY work, so don't hate me!!!

The best way to roll the parts is to cut a section of wire coat hanger about 12" long and use that.

I've inserted some photos below to show the build process.

More to come as my sanity allows... :p

Here are parts NZ-2. Roll these into tubes as shown...

View attachment 3056

View attachment 3057

View attachment 3058

Here you attach parts NZ-1 to NZ-2. Make sure the rounded end of NZ-1 is to the top. Make sure the black end of NZ-2 is on the bottom.

View attachment 3059

A look at the underside to show you the proper positioning of NZ-1. The rivets on the end flaps should meet as shown.

View attachment 3060

Attached Files:

8. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Attached Files:

9. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Showing the placement of WTP-1. Cut to fit, beveling the bottom edge as it rests against the fairing skirt. Use the grey stripes printed on the fuel tanks as guides for WTP-1 and BTP-1. White fuel lines on the white tanks, Black fuel lines on the black tanks.

View attachment 3063

View attachment 3064

Here you see the completed NZ-1/NZ-2 assemblies in place on the Jupiter Nosecone.

View attachment 3065

Another view.

View attachment 3066

Standing tall! I'll post more shots as I go. Hope you guys are finding them helpful.

View attachment 3067

Attached Files:

10. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Revision History

I have made more changes to the initial PDF's. (I dont think anything as escaped some sort of revision, LOL)

As follows:

SA-5 (1) PDF:

Resized part IS-2 for better match.

SA-5 (2) PDF:

Moved grey fuel pipe guideline on part FT-1. Previous version was too far to the inside to use as guideline.

SA-5 (3) PDF:

Minor resizing of parts NC-1/NC-1a for better fit. Recolor of NC-2 to match reference photographs.

SA-5 (4) PDF:

Recolor of NC-4 to match reference photographs.
    Resized part NC-5 to provide better fit and eliminate gapping.
    Resize and recolor of IS-1 to match reference photographs.
    Fixed mis-alignment of Roman Numeral sequence and fuel ports.
    Fixed mis-alignment of checkerboard roll pattern.

SA-5 (5) PDF:

No revisions at this time.

SA-5 (6) PDF:

SA-5 (7) PDF:

SA-5 (8 ) PDF:

First page of details kit. Added 10/03/06.
  11. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hello ekuth,

Your project was a beauty from the start but I like the additions of details and tweaking going on.
    It is fun to follow along and watch the steady progress!
    I certainly don't mind revisions, as it's getting better all the time!

Keep up the great work!

12. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

I would Love to build the SA-5 1:96th Scale Model. Please send me the files, (If you don't mind).

Carl Hewlett
    Space Club Dir.
    Fitzgerald, GA
  13. dovbear88

dovbear88 New Member

I'll gratefully give it a go. Let me know. thanks
  14. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Hi guys.

All the files are available on page two of this thread. (Posts # 16 and # 17, respectively)

Just save them to your computer and you're good to go! (Until I alter them again... mwhahahahha)

15. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Thank you for your response!

Thanks I got the model and the pictures! Do you plan on doing any of the Saturn/Apollo Block I models? I was going to Bash The old Saturn IB, (but will wait for you if you plan a more detailed model).

Thanks for the great work,

16. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Hmmm... well, I suppose it wouldnt be too difficult to do the SA-1 through SA-4. Other than the lack of fins, and minor changes to the thrust structure there's little difference between them. Would be cool to have the complete series up to the Saturn IB, wouldnt it?

I know there's lots of stuff available for the Gemini era, but the early Apollo era seems to be ignored, more or less.

Sure! Once I finish up with the SA-5, I'll get to work on the SA-1.

I'll do a separate thread for each.
  17. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

That sounds great, I will await your next posting. BTW, I have a bash models of the Saturn A-1/Mercury Mark II & Saturn B-1/Apollo if you wish to have the files for a build them with your Detailed Cluster Base, (Instead of the old Saturn IB Cluster Base I used).

18. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Sure! I'll send you a PM with my email.
  19. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

More details!

Uploaded the revised Detail Kit PDF... included are more fuel lines for the nosecone and interstage sections.

Revised the graphics on the main fuel tank wraps for better display.

Instructions to follow.
  20. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Okay, here are photos for placement of the new parts.

Specifically, we're looking at the Jupiter nosecone. Glue these parts along the seam lines from the build. In decending order from the top down, they are:

View attachment 3094

Roll, cut and bevel to fit. Trim any extra. Now for the top of part NCT-1, I simply folded in the top to form a smooth edge. Fiddle with it, you'll see what I mean.

Here's a closer look at the beveling above the retro nozzle.

View attachment 3096

Details on the interstage details below.

Attached Files: