Saturn 1B Nosecone HELP????

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by londonbluemisty, Jun 11, 2009.

1. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Hi to All:mrgreen:

After finishing my Saturn I builds I am now onto Saturn 1B's.

A while ago I can remember stumbling across nosecones for AS203/AS204 to fit Ton Notebooms Saturn 1B 1/96 but I cannot find them anywhere wall1wall1
    Can anybody HELP with a link or file please??? :oops:

Attached Files:

2. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

I have not heard of the alternate nosecones, but worst case we can design them in Meta / Pepa and I can send it to you via email. All I would need to know is the outside diameter of Ton's rocket where the Nosecone Fairing would interface (in millimeters). We can use photos of AS 203 / 4 to get the proportions.
  3. the mole

the mole Member

Wayne the nosecones for the AS203/AS204 for Ton Saturn 1b can be found on the Sapce-Paper-Models Group. Go there and into the file section. Look up the file Saturn 1b Mods. The two nosecones is at the end of the PDF file.:thumb: Hope this is what you were looking for.:mrgreen:
  4. the mole

the mole Member

5. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Hi Mole,

Thank you very much.
  6. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Fantastic!! Thanks a lot Mole:thumb::thumb:
    I knew I had seen them somewhere:mrgreen:
    I am a member of that group aswell,I have not been there for a while:oops:
    I can start my 1B builds now:twisted:

7. jparenti

jparenti Member

Aha! It figures. I was looking all day, just everywhere but here. :D
  8. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

Just some info about the Saturn on the left above picture. This was the Apollo 5 mission, the first flight, unmanned, of the Lunar Module. Most of the fairing around the LEM was simply the SLA fairing typically found on lunar missions that attached to the S-IVB on the bottom and the base of the Apollo service module above the LEM. In the case of Apollo 5 they simply put a simple cone nosecap on top of the SLA to make it a complete fairing. It should be a fairly simple job to make the two cones. I use CONE, a piece of shareware available on the net. It has a trial period then a one time payment. It has worked very well for me in the past. Or just bash one out by trial & error.
    By the few photos I can find it appears the LEM was put in the SLA, transported to the pad and hoisted to the top of the Saturn. Then the final nosecap was attached and it was launched. I seem to recall that the Saturn used in this mission was the same one that Apollo 1 was on top of when it suffered that catastrophic fire. But I am not sure about this. With an in scale LEM this would make an interesting and unique model.