Saturn 1B - INT05A 260" SRB Design In Progress

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by SAustin16, Feb 17, 2008.

1. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Good Evening Everybody,

I've been working on the design of the INT-05A 260" Monolithic SRB for quite a while now in MS Word. I think I'm ALMOST finished. This was a real NASA design from the mid-1960's, which was so massive that they would have had to build them on-site, as the SRB was not rail transportable.

The only good reference I've found is a line drawing from Mark Wade's Encyclopedia Astronautica (aka I've had to use my limited imagination to fill in some of the details.

Here are a few pictures of my prototype SRB (simply pieced together by trial and error) topped by Ton Noteboom's S-IVB and CSM. A Special Thank You to David Hanners for the idea of using corrugated card for the stringer sections.

The second set show a slightly more refined version designed in Word. I'm working on ensuring that the SRB mates properly with Ton's S-IVB, which sounds easy, but has proven a challenge for me.

Just wanted you all to know that we're almost there with this design, and sorry for all the delays.

Let me know if you see room for improvement.

Attached Files:

2. George B

George B Senior Member

This is awesome!! :thumb::thumb::thumb:
  3. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Beautiful work. I'm always amazed to hear that people create card models using MS Word! :)
  4. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Thank you George,

It's been fun (and somewhat frustrating) learning to draw in Word.

I finished all the parts this morning. I'll try another test build to ensure proper mating to Ton's S-IVB and create some simple instructions before I make it available for beta-building.

My plan is to contribute the final to Jon Leslie's Lower Hudson Space site if he's interested in having it.
  5. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Drawing with... Word?!!! Wow that is most impressive!!!!!!
  6. gpw

gpw Member

since I had designed my Chimp Couch in Word I feel a lot of sympathy for you. I know about this fun and frustration.

But the result is awesome. :thumb::thumb::thumb: When will the model be available?

7. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Good Evening Everybody,

I'm working on the instructions now. I'll be including a photo-storyboard along with the text to ensure clarity. In any case, it's a REALLY simple model...mainly just a couple of cylinders and wraps.

I'll get it done as soon as I can...but I have to build it again for the in-progress photos.
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

SUPER! I like it :) if its a fairly simple build it may lend itself well to using REALLY heavy cardstock and launching that bad boy :) one time flight I am sure unless there is a good break in there to put in a chute. My son has been asking me to make a model rocket to shoot off at my dads next time he goes down :D
  9. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Hi Chris,

Although my model rocketry launch experience is minimal, I too thought that maybe someone with more experience could modify and beef up the design for actual flight...In other words a REAL SRB.

Using the natural break between the Interstage and S-IVB should allow for parachute installation.

You may want to install clear plastic fins for a stable launch trajectory.

If you do launch it, I'd love to see some pictures here.
  10. fructose

fructose Member

Looks like an interesting design. That would be a nice addition to a Apollo/Saturn display. I always like 'would have been' rockets. They make me wonder what space exploration would have been like if we didn't have money to get in the way.
  11. jparenti

jparenti Member

That's great! I've got a display of Saturns that I'm working on, and it would be great alongside them. I still can't figure out how to draw anything worthwhile with Word... I'm not really a designer, myself.
  12. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

I wonder if this might have been the inspiration for the Ares I?
  13. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Hello Everyone,

I started this model as my "simple" introduction into card model rocket design.

The designing task is pretty simple for me, but sizing the parts correctly so that I don't drive the builders insane has been the difficult and time-consuming part. After having seen some of the commercial kits being built on Zealot, I'd like my product to fit well also.

As for the inspiration for Ares I, in my opinion you are correct, especially if you browse Mark Wade's site for the Saturn I, II, and V Variants. You start realizing that the Apollo designers considered everything from "small" Minuteman booster motors up through 156" and 260" diameters. The segmented 156" booster is so popular because that is the largest diameter that is rail transportable.

My goal is to get good enough at design that I can model some of the Nova boosters to set along side my Saturn V, which as you probably know is 363' tall in reality. Some of the Nova designs were up to 600' tall and about 100' in diameter. Truly immense vehicles.

Von Braun and his contemporaries were men who could transform vast dreams into beautiful and practical realities. Size was not an obstacle, simply a design consideration.

I hope you all enjoy building my first model ... once I get it published... which will hopefully be in the next few weeks. I'll let you all know when it's ready for beta-building, and when the final model is available of course.
  14. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Here's the model and instructions

Good Evening to All,

I just finished the INT-05A 260" Monolithic SRB model in 1:96 scale, and it's ready for beta build. Attached are the model and instructions.

Let me know what improvements are necessary, please. Especially fit problems to Ton's S-IVB.

Sorry for the delays, but I've had the flu for over 2 weeks.

Hope you enjoy the build.

Attached Files:

15. wedge

wedge Member

Thank you for another beautiful space model :) Thank you very much
  16. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

Wow! this model looks great! And somebody actually followed my lead and developed a model in MS Word. Like all software I've used, they are all frustrating when you start, but to date I still think MS Word is the easiest package to use to get the exact measurements for the shapes.

Work has supplied me with the Full MS OFFICE package, and the VISIO package is like the MS WORD only on steroids. I've been playing with that one lately, and clearly it has some very nice additions, (I've worked with some of the mechanical engineers enough to see that visio has some really good tools,) but how to discover them, is a pain in the neck. Its refreshing to just go back to the plain vanilla MS WORD for my happy place.
    I find it very frustrating when new versions of the software are released that they move all the familiar buttons and keystrokes around. I cannot imagine what the thinking is behind doing this.

Anyway your Saturn SRB would be a wonderful addition to the LHVCC egiftshop, when you are comfortable with its release, It is most welcome there.

Jonathan Leslie
  17. fructose

fructose Member

Wow, a great looking model. I am looking forward to making this one.
  18. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Thank you for the kind words everyone.

Is anyone actually building the model now, or planning on building it in the near future? Let me know your opinions and suggestions. If you have any questions, just post a note here on the Forum, and I'll reply as soon as possible.

And Jon, I am finally getting the hang of using Word. I especially enjoy the ability to size objects easily. I had completely forgotten about Visio as a design tool. I'll try that also. Thanks.
  19. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

I've got mine built. I'll post pictures sometime.
  20. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Thanks for responding Dyna-Soar.

I hope the model went together well. Did you have any problems with it that I need to fix?