Santa Fe 2-10-2

frisco1519

Nov 27, 2005
Enid, Oklahoma
I am considering the purchase of a Santa Fe 2-10-2 steam engine in the near future. I have run into a problem trying to determine which supplier to buy from. I had looked at the Broadway Limited, Bachmann Spectrum, and IHC. I had pretty much decided to go with the IHC until another member of my club said they had the wrong tender with it. He had purchased the Bachmann 2-10-2 and it came with a short four axle tender. The IHC model comes with the longer six axle. Both engines are the 3800 class steam engine. Could anyone provide a little background as to which tender is correct one, or were both of them used by Santa Fe?
Thank you in advance for the help.

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
found pics of the big long haul tender(six axle) also a smaller rectangler with 2 axle trucks a round back one and a two axle bobber type used in yard service i guess. so take your pick as to what tender you want.:)

Dick Elmore

Aug 22, 2003
Central Illinois
Visit site
Frisco, the IHC tender is not even close to being correct. The Bachmann tender, while closer, is not correct either. Neither one of the engines make the grade as far as the 2-10-2 that the Santa Fe actually used. The BLI version is pretty close to being exact. Only the rivet counters would find fault with it. The biggest problem with BLI's engine is that it was supposed to be out a year and a half ago and it isn't here yet. I'm about to give up on it and cancel my order.

Dick
Texas Chief

frisco1519

Nov 27, 2005
Enid, Oklahoma
That was what I had heard also Dick. Out of the three engines, BLI is the more prototypical. I have two of their 4-8-4 Northerns and they are great engines. I understand now that the delivery date for the 2-10-2 and 2-10-4 is April. I may just wait and get what I really wanted to begin with.

petey

May 17, 2004
I have a United brass model of an
atsf 2-10-2. It's not perfect but s/b closer to the prototype. It would be less than $200.
Contact me off-line if interested. dlong@ktc.com

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Which tender is correct would depend to an extent on what years you are modeling. The 2-10-2s and 2-10-4s in the 3800 series were used for mainline freight service and would have tenders identical to the 2900 and 3780 series 4-8-4's. The 900s series were built originally as vulcan compound locomotives near the turn of the century for mainline power and later were converted to simple engines. I think they may have had larger tenders originally, but when they were converted to simple engines later, they were used almost exclusively in helper service. In helper service they didn't need the bigger tenders.