Sanding tower help.

Glen Haasdyk

I'm kitbashing/scratchbuilding a sanding house/tower for my engine facilities I just need one thing though. I'm trying to determine the diameter of the cylinder on top of the tower. I'm trying to duplicate it using aluminum or brass tubing. Thanks.

shaygetz

The one I'm looking at in my "Bridges and Buildings for Model Railroads" is 4' in diameter. I'm sure there is a size for every occasion though ;)

F

Fred_M

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen pictures of two sandtowers that were the same. They appear to be mostly cobbled together home built structures built from scraps found laying about the yard by Tim Allen wannabees. Fred

Espeenut

...yeah, no two the same, that's my observation as well, go with what 'looks right' and I doubt you'll be unhappy. I've built almost half a dozen sand towers now, and each one was totally different from the previous version...
Lorne Miller

Glen Haasdyk

I was just looking for a ballpark size, since mine is just going to be 'cobbled-together' Four feet in diameter sounds about right.

NYC-BKO

Glen, I used an old small pill bottle from the Pharmacy, It measures 7' in diameter and about 15' tall, I cut it off where the lid goes on and built the top with sheet styrene, it was mounted on an old signal bridge upright and I just added some piping. Looks good to me. Just some other options!