Sand and trains?

Toddo

Jan 18, 2007
Easton, MD
56weeksofcreek.blogspot.com
I'm very new to this train thing. Amazing how some moded trains can jumpstart an interest in the Proto's we see everday in our lives.

The question is what does sand have to do with trains? I have seen a few tidbits about sand and was wondering what's up?

Thanks in advance,
Toddo

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
There are usually a hopper at each end of a locomotive that carries sand and distributes it via pipes in front of the wheels for traction. When starting a train, the engineer can apply sand as needed via a valve handle in the cab. Newer locomotives have automatic sanders.

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
COMBAT said:
Traction! :)

Not just "traction"...

Onn a television documentary on the history of freight railroading yesterday, one of the modern rail lines spoke knowledgably about the "traction control devices" installed on all their newest freght locomotives. Then they let the cat out of the bag by talking to the engineer on camera, who revealed that this "traction control device" is...sand. :rolleyes:

Tune in next week when he hear the story of how the engineers have been reclassified as "throttle retention devices", aka the nuts that hold the levers.

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Mountain Man said:
Not just "traction"...

Onn a television documentary on the history of freight railroading yesterday, one of the modern rail lines spoke knowledgably about the "traction control devices" installed on all their newest freght locomotives. Then they let the cat out of the bag by talking to the engineer on camera, who revealed that this "traction control device" is...sand. :rolleyes:

Tune in next week when he hear the story of how the engineers have been reclassified as "throttle retention devices", aka the nuts that hold the levers.

Call it what you like, but ut all comes down to, traction. sign1

Hunkiedoo

Dec 1, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
More comments about sand.

Just to add a bit more info about sand. Just any old beach sand won't do. Railway sand is clean, screened, sharp, hard sand. Above all it must be free-flowing in all types weather, temperature and humidity. To achieve this, it must be dried and kept dry. In the old days this was done in a Sandhouse. In winter the sandhouse was often the only reliably warm location in the yard and consequently often became the gathering place for employees, "between tasks", to shoot the breeze etc. but I digress. In a modern rail yard look for a tall, steel "barrel" high above the tracks with pipes angling down over the tracks to supply sand to the locomotives.

At the locomotive, the sand was not dribbled onto the rail but was jetted under the tread of the driving wheels with compressed air. Look for a pipe adjacent to the outside wheels of a locomotive very, very close to the top of rail and the wheel tread.

Combat is quite right that sand is a traction control device, but my understanding is that, in the context of the modern diesel locomotive, "Automotive Traction Control" refers to the ability of the locomotive's computer to detect the onset of wheel slip and adjust power to the wheels accordingly - all in microsecond time frame.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
i've been wonderin,how do they get it in the tanks above the tracks.i think i read somewhere that they used compressed air to shoot it up into the tanks and into the loco.wasnt real sure about that.--josh

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
I believe this is a sand tower, located in Dilworth Mn. The white cylender located to the left side of the picture.

Picture201.jpg

Rick

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Hunkiedoo said:
Combat is quite right that sand is a traction control device, but my understanding is that, in the context of the modern diesel locomotive, "Automotive Traction Control" refers to the ability of the locomotive's computer to detect the onset of wheel slip and adjust power to the wheels accordingly - all in microsecond time frame.

:thumb: Exactly! :D