Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by JRSeese, Feb 29, 2004.

1. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

First post of the forum, huzzah! :D

It seems that architecture is not a very popular genre among this group, but it is my favorite type of model. Aside from the fact that it is somewhat easier to find beginner's models - and I am a beginner as you all know - my brief schooling in graphic arts included a course in classic architecture that I remember fondly.

Current project = My back has been hunched over my work table for a few weeks working on a model of Notre Dame Cathedral. It is a die cut model from IDA3D, but very well designed, so don't hold that against it.

A nice kit for $20 on eBay; it came in a fascinating box fashioned like an old fashioned suitcase! There were a LOT of goodies inside, really everything needed to complete the model except the blade (a tube of UHU type glue, large piece of corrugate for the base with a poster to cover it, a sheet of faux grass, a lighting kit, some trees, some cellophane windows, two pink people and a pink car...need paint too I guess)

At this point I am near completion; I only need to finish the main spire and the the 30+ support structures - what a pain in the buttress! Then *try* to install the lights and grass. The results have been really good considering the skill level of the builder. It's really an easy kit considering the number of parts. My only disappointment is the cellophane windows - the "Rose Windows" are the highlight of the building IMO but are indistinct blurs in this version, would have paid $10 more for some detailed windows.

Like to try the Instant Durable version some day...!!
    Like to see the real thing even more...!!

Nice views of the real deal at

Fascinating but concise history of the cathedral at

Low quality pictures to follow,

2. Gil

Gil Active Member

I like architectural models also..., my first exposure to a paper model was through an architectural model. You should take up HO or N Scale trains as a hobby. It would provide a productive outlet to place all your paper creations.

One thought on the stained glass windows...., if you could find a picture of the originals it could be brought up in one of the photo application packages for processing down to the scale of the model. Print this out on overhead foil stock and install. Buy the way are you going to put Quasimoto up in the bell tower?

Best regards, Gil

P.S. Took a look at the posted URLs...., you've got the material you need. Hope it's not to late to intercept the build.
  3. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

Although I'm just about done, with a deft hand I might be able to surgically replace the windows :wink:

I'm still grappling with the concept that you can depart from the designer's creation when building a model ( *gasp* you can... print... your OWN parts?! ) this might be an opportunity to try it

Thanks for the suggestion!

4. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

Posted the promised pics to my album. Let's have a go at inserting one of them into my post.

5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi Josh,

Nice, very nice work! I take it that you were able to mount the stained glass windows. I'm still looking for Quasimoto though..., he's going to be a little tough to model at this scale.

Now, one of the oldest contiuously operating restaurants in the World, Le Tour d'Argent, is on the opposite bank of the Seine and some of the most sought after tables in the World have a view of Nortre Dame (it's on the fourth floor of the building if I remember correctly). The Roast Duck with Chinese Pepper is some of the best I have ever tasted. Reservations a year in advance is generally advised.

Best regards, Gil
  6. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

Thanks for the words and for giving me more details for my fantasy :)
    I guess I should buy an extra lotto ticket this weekend

7. Corporal_Trim

Corporal_Trim Member

Good thread, Josh. You are the funniest man at :lol: And by the looks of your Notre Dame and the old car you did, a talented card modeler as well.

I like architecture models too. I have a few of the real cheap small scale IDA3D kits, French chateaux models. I built the Chateau d'Usse, came out pretty good, one other one I built, found unsatisfactory and trashed, forget which one. Still have Chenenceau waiting to be built.

Looking forward to seeing your completed model with all the buttresses on and the pink tourists out front. :wink:
  8. bwallaw

bwallaw Member

Looks Great Josh. Thanks for the pictures.

I am also a fan of the buildings. I had done a ton of plastic/wood structure models for HO and N scale model railroads. I quickly discovered I liked the scenery and model building more than I enjoyed the operations. I'm doing some ship models right now, but have a model of the Space Needle waiting in the drawer which looks like an fun & ambitious project.

Can't wait to see the finished product and your future pieces.
  9. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

Well, I finished the model over the weekend. Never did put the pink people in place; they were really cheezy looking plastic hooha and for some reason I felt they spoiled the tableau.

Finished the buttresses, set up the interior lighting kit provided by IDA3D which was really cool, mounted the building on the base, had some nice grass installed - even put down some weed treatments - and a few handmade trees.

Then today, disaster struck. Hurricane Joe hit Paris. My 2 1/2 year old son got into my office and decided to do some gardening. He came up to my wife, saying "I take apart!" I have also done some 3D puzzles that he has taken apart, he doesn't understand that this is not a puzzle that can be easily put back together!!

One of the trees ended up at the other end of the model, and there are tree and shrubbery bits all over the place. There is even foliage stuck in between several of the buttresses.

Contract negotiations with netherworld agents for the firstborn son are underway.

I'll see if I can get some pictures up to show the extent of the damage

10. Gil

Gil Active Member

My condolences..., pictures of the destruction would be nice though.

One saving grace, though, at least he's showing an interest!

Best regards, Gil
  11. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

Sorry for the delay, fatherhood keeps one busy.

Check my album for a couple more pics
    The son is forgiven, of course. He was vewy vewy sowwy.

12. sagunt

sagunt New Member

yes, i realise i'm posting to a thread that's long forgotten, but since josh apparently has not seen notre dame, we could each kick in one monetary unit per member (PS, $, Euro, ruble, dinar, etc.) and send him. you'll find a brilliant tour, wait. that was chartres. well, josh, go to chartres also, then design a model of it!

by the way, hello all!