Sample weathered decking

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by railBuilderdhd, Oct 25, 2008.

1. I've weathered some decking for a pier I'm building and I would like to know what you think of my weathering of the wood. I've mix all my own colors and I've used a/i wash. This sample deck is a small area on the Campbell pier kit and I'm almost all the way done with the weathering of the deck but this is the only section I've completely finished.

2. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

That looks real good..!! How did you manage to get so many different shades with the one wash..?
  3. BillW

BillW New Member

You did an incredible job weathering the decking! I've build a number of wooden and paper structures and I mix my own weathering dyes too. To represent graying wood, I mix black and brown leather dyes with alcohol. I found it necessary to mix the two shades as straight black tends to have a bluish cast when thinned. I don't really have a standard way of mixing the stuff, but usually I start with a pill bottle full of rubbing alcohol. I then slowly add drops of either dye until a test pieces matches what I had in mind. To make car floors and other decking look really weathered, I scratch in grain with a razor saw. What really appeals to me with your work is the fading from newer to rougher wood. Keep it up!

4. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

The selection of colours and the varying intensities really look good, Dave. :thumb::thumb:

5. Thanks for the kind word all. Basically the way I did the weathering was in many steps. First a coat of A/I wash then white (a color I mixed for the silver gray color) and more A/i Washes for some boards to get the different color boards. I'm going to post a How-to on my site when I'm done.
  6. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Terrific weathering job!
  7. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Looks fantastic :thumb::thumb::thumb:.
  8. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

No criticism what-so-ever. Looks great.
  9. e-paw

e-paw Member

:mrgreen: :thumb: Nice :thumb: :mrgreen:
  10. Thanks for all the nice comments all.
  11. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

That looks great! Really great. The variation in the wood lengths and colors works really well. My compliments.
  12. Here is an update to the dock project I'm working that the earlier posting was a sample of:

I still have much more to build and I really need to think about where I want to put this when it's done. This model is built from the Campbell kit but I built this one from scratch and still have the kit to do again later. I wanted to try my hand on my own wood before I did the kit to learn about how to work with wood.

Thanks for looking and any comments
  13. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Looks to me like you learned pretty well. ;):-D

14. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

WOW that looks REALLY good!!! :thumb: :thumb: Very Impressive work :thumb: :thumb:
  15. Thanks guys! All I can say is I'm having a great time!
  16. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Doing GREAT work and HAVING FUN at the same time, its a win win and thats what this hobby is all about, having fun :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Keep up the good work Dave :thumb: :thumb:
  17. Here is an update to what I got done this weekend. I still have a lot to do but this is after about 6-8 hours of work.

Thanks for looking and always I like to know what you think.