Sagrada Familia Gothic Church, Barcelona, Spain

Discussion in 'Kit Reviews' started by cdavenport, Nov 5, 2007.

1. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

1. Model Subject Sagrada Familia
    2. Scale : 1:300
    3. Publisher and model number: Domus Kit (no number)
    4. Designer : unknown, but a real wunderkind if there ever was one.
    5. Distributor: Paper Model Store (haven’t seen it elsewhere)

I purchased this kit of the famous church in Barcelona, Spain from The Paper Model Store for around $20 USD and it is worth every penny. Rechecking the site, I see it is no longer available. So, you may have to search if you want an excellent model and a building experience to go along with it.
    2. The model is comprised of 825 separate diecut and pre-scored pieces on 37 colorful sheets. I had no idea when I purchased the kit that all of the parts would be diecut. But, considering the amount of time I have in the build already, I am quite thankful. The extra amount I must have paid was well worth it. I would still be cutting out parts otherwise!
    3. The fit of all parts is very good to excellent with only miniscule trimming on a very few parts needed. The level of detail and artistic execution is mind boggling. You just have to see it to believe it.
    4. The 72 page instruction book is comprehensive, multi-lingual, and easy to comprehend. The kit is broken down into subassemblies that are eventually glued together. They all fit together with no fuss.
    5. No special tools are required and a novice modeler could easily build this kit, albeit with some determination since there are a zillion parts!
    6. I have no in-progress shots, but will post a finished shot in the next few weeks as time allows to complete the build.
  2. tino

tino Member

Yes please.
    I am very interested in the pictures of this model.

Please post as many as you can.

Best Regards,
    Diamantino Mateus
  3. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

'La Sagrada Familia' Barcelona Cathedral by Gaudi

Hello cdavenport,

From what I have read, the Domus kit is becoming very scarce. You are indeed lucky to find one. There are another model, too, with only one of the facades but this model represents the whole of the cathedral-to-be.

There are some very fine pictures of a completed Sagrada familia Domus model here, at the new Kartonmodell-museum in Heidelberg, germany - just click "Unser Museum in Bildern" (and listen to the guitar music) - there are close-ups of the cathedral below the top picture, nr 44 is one of them:

Good luck with your build!
    All the best from Stockholm,
    Bengt :wave:
  4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

La Sagrada Familia Model

Hi cdavenport,

Complementary info:
    You´ll find pictures of the Sagrada Familia model in pictures 20 - 31 and 38 - 45:

If you don´t want to go completely nuts, you can turn the guitar music off after a minute or two . . .

bengt :thumb:
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

UGH!!! why do people put music/sounds on their site!?!?!?!
  6. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Card model museum

Thanks for the links to the cardmodel museum. I would love to visit the actual church as it must be a real maze inside! I am just about finished with it. After learning of its scarcity, I am indeed lucky.
  7. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

La Sagrada Familia Cathedral Model

Hello cdavenport,

The real church is quite amazing, and incredibly tall - I visited it in 1979 together with my girlfriend (who know is my dear wife), when large sectiones of the roof and some of the high towers remained unfinished and most of the small ornaments (crosses, letters, etc) hadn´t been mounted up on the facades and towers.
    Barcelona is a wonderful, lively town on the Mediterrainian, with many other interesting Gaudi sites, such as the Park Guell, and the replica of Christofer Columbus´16th century ship "Santa Maria"anchored in the harbor along the harbor boulevard Paseo de Colon.

It would be nice to see your completed model - could you post a photo, please?

All the best,
    Bengt :wave:
  8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

9. kentak

kentak New Member

I bought this model at the Metropolitan Museum of Art back in March. It's a wonderful model. I've been working on it off and on since then and I'm about a third of the way thru it. It appears to be available at their online store.
  10. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

I am approaching the finish line on the Sagrada build. It is not really difficult at all, but there are zillions of parts, valued added product for the money.

I have a Christmas break coming up and am going to squirrel away some time to finish it and post some shots.

Kudos to you that you got to visit the church! I can just imagine.
    Happy Holidays!