S Scale trucks?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Lackawanna Jim, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Hello all;

This is a question for the S-scalers on the Gauge. Are there currently available prototypical 100-Ton roller-bearing trucks in S Scale?

I am about to begin a project for a client that specializes in S-scale resin kits and accessories, and we are trying to determine the feasibility of creating cast-metal trucks for these kits, as above.

Jim :)
  2. billk

billk Active Member

3. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

RB Truck - 36" code 110 black

70 Ton Roller Bearing Truck - 33" code 110 black

These are two of the trucks offered by SHS Showcase Line.

American Models offers a 50 Ton roller bearing truck-822S

These trucks wouldn't be for a Canadian Kit maker would it?

I wouldn't re-invent the wheel. There are other trucks that need to be done. Like Archbar trucks. Last I heard they were no longer available.

4. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Try this: http://www.desplaineshobbies.com/

They list several and not all list a tonnage. I don't know enough about the truck names to know if any will do. Call 'em up and ask if you don't see what you need.

5. Thanks all for your input;

Greg, I did indeed go to the SHS website; they don't specify if one of those is a 100-ton truck or not. I will try and contact them directly to find out.

Yes, indeed, this is for a Canadian kit maker.

As for re-inventing the wheel, naaaah, that's been done already. But 100-ton roller bearing trucks in S-scale? If they have not been done, then they need to be. I will also forward your suggestion for Arch-bar trucks as well...

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Many thanks!

6. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

IIRC, the difference between 70 and 100 ton trucks are the wheel size. The 70 ton truck has 33" wheels and the 100 ton truck has 36" wheels. I could be wrong though. I plan on using the 36" wheels on some Canadian Cylindrical hoppers.

7. Thanks again, Greg!

You know, that probably should have been my first question, the difference between 70-ton and 100-ton trucks! If wheel size is indeed the only major difference, then that will save a bunch of work and we can concentrate on other things... Like arch bar trucks, for instance ;)