S scale questions

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by martyv, Jan 6, 2001.

1. martyv

martyv New Member

I am a relative new toy/model train novice. I've got some Lionel 3-rail. But the S-scale seems to more my style. I've been reading S-Gaugian magazine and viewing some web-sites and the size of S between HO and O seems to appeal to me. I'd like to hear from some other S folks to answer the following questions:
    1. If I have some American Flyer equipment what kind of new track would I want to buy to allow the running of the 60's Flyer items?
    2. I also want to purchase some new items, whats the opinion of American Models, S-Helper or Lionel American Flyer?
    3.Purchasing new items and to be compatible on my trackage, do I need to purchase hi-rail AC powered?
    4. What type of transformer(s) would I want to get to be able to run 2 train layout 10'x 18'
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    martyv
  2. PRSLou

PRSLou Member

Marty,

Hi! Welcome to The Gauge! I am sorry I can't help you since I don't know much about S scale (O scale is my specialty). Maybe someone else can help?!?!

Sorry,

------------------
    Lou
    PRSLou's website
  3. trainkiller

trainkiller New Member

4. douglass

douglass New Member

1. There are 4 or 5 new trackage systems on the market now. The only one upon which one cannot run Am Flyer is scale track smaller than code 125, usually code 100. Each track system has it's own appeal; all work great.
    2. All S- Gauge equipment is well made and works fine. Lionel Am Flyer is a little more tolerant of abuse, a factor to be considered if kids will be using.
    3. High Rail equipment freely interchanges with old and new Am Flyer but not scale. AC powered units have the option of including todays state of the art sound systems. DC do not.
    4. The prefered transformer for you proposed layout would be an Americn Flyer 18B or a 30B. These are AC. A switchable rectifier box can be easily built from Radio Shack parts. I use both AC and DC powered locos on my layout.
    5. These and many other questions can be answered by www.NASG.org. Linked to www.trainweb.org. RSVP

------------------
    Douglass H. Allen
  5. nmoon

nmoon New Member

Where do I get the "S" gauging magazine?
  6. SuperSport

SuperSport Member

7. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Hi Martyv,

I would like to add my welcome to “the-gauge” a place of good friends and friendly banter.

> 1. If I have some American Flyer equipment what kind of new track would I want to buy to allow the running of the 60's Flyer items?

There are three systems or brands of track that will allow you to run AF equipment and still look like scale track. The first being track from “American Models,” the second being track from “SHS” and the third “American S gauge.”

>2. I also want to purchase some new items, whats the opinion of American Models, S-Helper or Lionel American Flyer?

I have bought both AM and SHS engines. While I do scale S, they both offer AF compatible engines. Both sell them in AC or DC if you like. They come with AF compatible couplers and AF style wheels. AM is like Athearn for detail on engines, especially their earlier ones. SHS is like Atlas for detail. Both are good runners. The AM models originally were American made, but the last couple of diesels has come from China and do have more detail. All of SHS equipment comes from China. I do not know how well or poorly the new Lionel Flyer runs. It basically is a rehash of the old AF dies.

>3.Purchasing new items and to be compatible on my trackage, do I need to purchase hi-rail AC powered?

If you wish to run the two, it would be better to purchase the AF compatible for the simple reason; the scale wheels don’t do well on AF switches. You are able to get both AC and DC engines. You can run AC engines on DC power, but don’t run DC engines on AC. (You may already know this, I learned the hard way.)

>4. What type of transformer(s) would I want to get to be able to run 2 train layout 10'x 18'

SHS sells a transformer and includes them in their starter sets. I don’t know if Lionel sells transformers for their S gauge or not. If you do decide on DC, any larger HO pack will work. For my small S scale layouts, I’ve used my Bachmann HO transformer that I got with the On30 sets and it work just fine. When I get my larger layout up and running, I will use my O scale DCC system.

Here is a link that is great and has a lot of info. Take a look and enjoy.

http://www.trainweb.org/crocon/sscale.html

Cheers and again Welcome to our fine group of friends.
    Greg
  8. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Hi Greg:

Hey, have you and Joe noticed that the original post for this topic was 2001?

Also, wanted to share with you that we have had trouble using one of the new AC transformers with original flyer units that have a horn or "diesel engine sounds". The transformer, and i'll have to send a note to a friend of mine to get the make and model, puts out a clipped sine wave which trips the whistle and engine noise units on all the time. Very annoying and not good for the units.

Regards,
    Ted
  9. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

DOH!!!

Cheez whiz Ted,

No I didn't notice it. It just came to the top and I read through it like it was new. Oh well.

As for the transformer clipped sine wave, I am unfamiliar with that. I don't do AC in S myself and have no AF engines of any type. That is good to know though, since knowledge is good.

I was hoping this forum might be showing some interest.

Greg
  10. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Hey Greg!

Well, we have snagged Joe! Joe? Oh Joe? You still out there? Didja come to any conclusions about which way to lean? O\\\V///S? On30? On2 1/2? On2 3/4? On1 7/64?

Regard'S',
    Ted
  11. SuperSport

SuperSport Member

zzzzzzzz...Oh ! ...LOL!! 2001 geezzz!!

Im leaning towards S but saw some great looking O scale diesels at a hobby shop on Bloor & Royal York in Etobicoke (can't mention the name, right?) sooooo.........
  12. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Well Joe, what is your main interest? Steam, diesel, electric, traction? Era, steam, transition to diesel or contemporary?

Greg
  13. SuperSport

SuperSport Member

Hi Greg,
    my interest is mostly contemporary 60's to 80's era (diesels diesels and more diesels). I would like to model the early VIA Rail with there FP7's A/B units and smooth side passenger cars. I always liked the Algoma Central and modeled their passenger/tour trains (silver with the "tracks of the Black Bear" in HO). I had accumulated quite a few American Models diesels I planned on "trying" to kitbash there GP35 into a GP38. They had GP7's also and SD40's.
    I will collect as much as I can for now, having a art background,
    (I guess I'm a semi artist) I like air brushing and detailing deisels.
    The problem is our Canadian Looney (dollar) and the exchange rate drives up the price when converted, but Im looking at the
    AM FP7 or GP7 right now.

thanks guys

Joe