S Scale Car Weights.

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Jim Lawler, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Jim Lawler

Jim Lawler New Member

Can anyone tell me if there is a proper weight for individual freight cars?

If not, should lighter cars be located toward the end of a consist or near the front?

Thanks for any comments in advance. Im new to this site and have just got my American
    Flyer trains back out (My christmas gift of 1947) and they run like new. My grandson
    loves them and what a way to bond, It reminds me of so many good times ....

thanks in advance
    Jim Lawler
  2. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Jim, the NMRA recommends two ounces, plus a half ounce for each inch of length for S scale cars. So if a car was 9 inches long, you'd be looking at 6.5 ounces. An easy and non-permanent way to weigh down closed cars is to stick heavy magnets to the bottom. This allows you to weigh down the cars without affecting their potential collectible value in any way. To weigh down gondolas and hoppers, just put a load in them.

Lighter cars should be at the back of the train, with heavy cars up front. I would also suggest putting just a drop of oil on the axles, at the point where the axles meet the sides of the trucks. That will help the axles to roll a bit more freely, so the locomotive doesn't have to work quite as hard.
  3. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Welcome back to S-Gauge railroading! Glad to have you! Don't forget to lube the engine as well, especially the axle bearing points. The chassis castings are a soft metal and don't handle the wear well without lubrication.

As to the weight issue, the foks in our modular railroad club rarely add more than 4 oz to any Flyer car. The trucks and couplers have a good bit of weight to them, and unless you have a LARGE layout it's hard to get a 45 car consist going where the weight might matter. In fact, it's hard to haul a 45 car consist of original Flyer cars with any one engine becasue the cars are so heavy and the wheel bearings are not as smooth rolling as todays products made by folks like S-Helper and American Models.

Lighter cars at the back is a good idea. Are your link couplers working Ok?

Hope you and your grandson are having a good time. Trains are a lot of fun.