S Scale Canadian Grain Hoppers?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by riverotter, Nov 27, 2007.

1. riverotter

riverotter Midwest Alliance Rail Sys

I'm mainly an HO modeler, but I've been acquiring a collection of S scale equipment, and I've been toying with making a bigger commitment to S (even if I have to sell some of my HO to do it), but I have about 200 HO grain hoppers, mainly Red Canadas, Saskatchewans, and Canada Wheat Boards, and I can't find anything like these in S scale. If there aren't any, that will pretty much put a damper on things in S scale for me, so does anyone know of a source or sources for Canadian Cylindrical Grain Hoppers (ACF 4650cuft)? Thanks a lot!
  2. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I'm not going to say there aren't any but I have never seen any. However O gauge is loaded with them. I'm a big CN fan and I run the 100 ton grain rollingstock.

See Video

YouTube - My world
  3. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Hi again Riverotter,

Kaslo Shops has a kit for the cylindrical hoppers.
    Kaslo Shops Distributing
    Nothing ready to run but I have five of those kits and they look like they will build up into nice cars.

4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

WOW Greg those come with one heck of a price tag. They are more than double what I paid for mine.
  5. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Yeah, unfortunately they're pricey. They are nice cars though. If there were more of us who wanted them then the price would be lower. Also consider the price of brass cars, they'd be more than twice the price.

6. riverotter

riverotter Midwest Alliance Rail Sys

Please check my math & my assumptions on this: $200 for 6 cars is $33.33 each. In HO, high quality Canadian grain hoppers by InterMountain normally retail in the neighborhood of $30+/- each, although you can find them up to $10 lower on eBay & discount model train sites on the Internet. So $33.33 per car doesn't seem so bad for these cars in O scale -- or am I missing something here?

My main concerns: are these 3-rail cars or 2-rail? And if they are 3-rail, can they be converted to 2-rail, and how hard/expensive is that?

One of my overall concerns about 2-rail O scale is that it seems to be the "neglected 2nd cousin" of O gauge 3-rail modeling.

Thanks for your replies!
  7. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I'm not a 2 rail person so to be honest I don't know. I can tell you the detail for these are very good and they are scale. The six car sets are much cheaper so you get about a $12 break in price.

Might I suggest this place since they have some good 2 rail people.

8. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

MTH, Lionel and Atlas make cylindrical hoppers. Not all the same prototype but visually close. I haven't done anything with Lionel's version but I expect it would be the same as their other cars. They are convertable but it takes a lot of work. The MTH cars will convert fairly easy and now that MTH is going to offer 2-Rail roller bearing trucks, it should be even easier. The Atlas can be bought both ways and if you do get a 3-Rail car, they sell conversion wheel sets, which I've used on a couple cars. They drop right in the trucks. I bought some cone shaped plugs that fit in the MTH bolster and trimmed them to the desired height and used Weaver 2-Rail trucks and Kadee couplers. One thing about the big 3 O gauge manufacturers is their use of the high bolster on their trucks. None of them match and are not readily interchangable. The later versions from MTH should have pads ready for Kadee couplers and scale wheel sets in the trucks should be all you need to do.

9. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Oh yes Greg is a 2 railer too.hamr I should of remembered that Greg.
  10. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Not to worry, I'm a rubber gauger too. LOL :D