S scale American Models

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by baaaboo, Jan 17, 2006.

1. baaaboo

baaaboo New Member

Very soon going to invest a lot of money into S Scale trains, I have looked at American Models, they seem very detailed , has anyone bought these and or in that price range can you recommend any others thanks:)
  2. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Most S scalers really like them. Another brand to look for in the same price range is S-Helper. S-Helper's level of detail is astounding. Worth checking out.
  3. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Dave is right on. AM and SHS are good products. AM is more like the Athearn of the 70's for most of their engines and SHS would be comparable to Atlas. AM has a larger variety of engines and cars but some what less detailed than SHS. If you are into American Flyer, Lionel sells AF at Lionel's inflated prices, IMO.

Now as to your question, I bought the AM FP-7 when it first came out in the mid 80's. It ran very well, still does for that matter. The latest engine I bought from AM is their U25B which runs as well as the SHS F units. The SHS line definitely raised the bar in S for quality. AM has a few die cast steam engines and they run very well also. Not owning any, I can't tell you if they ran that way out of the box or needed some tune up work. My guess it they ran fine out of the box because all the AM diesels I own ran well right out of the box.

What are you planning on running? AF type, high rail or scale?

4. baaaboo

baaaboo New Member

I plan on running S scale I guess they call it code 110, do like the S helper locking road bed track but fear it may be noisy on my plywood table. I guess most people use the cork road bed, but am afraid to tack track and road bed because of my bad depth perception, thanks
  5. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Here is an alternative to the SHS track. It's brass but bigger than the code 100 offered by Shinohara or Tomalco.
    Another solution would be sheet foam used for insulation on top of the plywood. I would think that would solve the noise problem and not add much weight. Also AM sectional track on the foam could be temporarily pinned down till you get the placement exactly how you want it. Then gluing ballast would hold the track and the pins could be pulled out.