s-scale (1/64) accessories - vintage cars, trucks

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by cagey, Feb 6, 2006.

1. cagey

cagey New Member

Wonder if anyone knows where I might find s-scale (1/64) cars and trucks for my AF layout. Looking specifically for late 50s or even early 60s cars and trucks, die-cast models, etc. Don't have to be vintage. I have found one site (diecastdirect.com) that lists a few. Any and all help welcome.
  2. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

3. cagey

cagey New Member

Yes, that's the one I've seen. They have a few, but if there are more let me know.

4. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

you can also try 3000 toys. I did a quick search and it show 655 diecast in 1/64 scale.

5. cagey

cagey New Member

Thx spankybird.

Yes I noted your layout is chock-full of die cast "oldie" models. Very nice. Next step will be to locate some 1/64 people, etc., but I'll take it as it comes.

6. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

7. DanRaitz

DanRaitz Member

Another place to check is your local Walmart. They almost always have 1/64th scale cars. Look for the "Johnny Lightning" series.

8. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

Your local John Deere Dealer
  9. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

1/64 vehicles are a lot easier to find than 1/43s. Check out this site:

Unfortunately the regular URL with captions at s-scale.org is down. A lot of the vehicles on the page are Matchbox and Hot Wheels. Some (but not all) are 1:64, or very close. Matchbox cars usually have the scale on the bottom of the car, so if you find one from your time period, you can check the bottom. Also look for Johnny Lightning, Racing Champions, etc. in the toy aisles of discount stores. As a rule almost all of them are 1:64, and not terribly expensive ($2.50 or so).
  10. cagey

cagey New Member

Thanks guys. Yeah I do have quite a few matchbox and old first-edition Hot Wheels. It's been about 25 years since I last had my Am Flyer set up on a flat-board surface (it's been running around the top of my den in recent years). In the past, I recall using my old matchbox and hot wheels cars, but some of them seemed a tad small for scale. Might have been my imagination. Also, I'm trying to recreate this new layout as "late 50s" so a lot of those 60s-era hot wheels, dinkies, and matchbox won't work for me.

Appreciate the links and I'll check them out.
  11. Philinbos

Philinbos Member

12. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Hi Cagey:
    If you are still checking The-Gauge periodically maybe this will help. Go to the NASG website and check out the links. Also, go Paul York's website: http://www.trainweb.org/s-trains/ and check out his links. There's a lot of good sources for cars. I just got some great ones at Big Lots. I have to repaint some of them but the castings look good and they're 1:64 at $1.00 each. Check out Target, K-Mart, Big Lots, Wal-Mart, Northern Tool, etc. Sometimes the "old" cars have flashy new paint jobs on them so they appeal to kids, but that's an easy fix.

MTH sells a bag of 125 unpainted people for very little money. They are mostly static poses, sitting, standing, but they are great for peopling up your layout for very little money. Then you can spend a little more at Arttista for the posed figures doing specific things. Pick up a copy of S-Gaugian for more sources of S-Stuff.

13. cagey

cagey New Member

Yes I'm still checking in.... and thanks for the tip. I will check it out.