S or O scale...

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by SuperSport, Oct 3, 2003.

1. SuperSport

SuperSport Member

Hello. I am new here but not new to model railroading, I've been away from it for about 6 years now. I am getting back into it
    and have been 'torn between "S" or "O" scale. I have been leaning towards S since I started in HO and made the switch to S in the last 2 years before I "retired" from model railroading (Mostly American Models diesel's scale with S helper stuff). I've
    noticed that rolling stock prices are just about the same for both scales while the diesel locomotives turn outs/track etc are a bit higher in O scale. Space in my new dwelling in the near future I suppose will deem "S" scale the practicle choice.
    Any S scale modelers in the GTA area? (Greater Toronto Area)
    I did reside in Brampton for 12 years but a separation a while back has located me in Weston temporarily.

thank you, great board for this hobby!

2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Hi Joe!
    Were you in the Brampton Model Railroad Club in John's basement?
    I don't know any S scalers in the area. We have one in The Platelayers, but he models English and has no trade support at all.
    I think that prices per unit tend to be independent of scale once you get out of HO and N. The cost of tools and assembly makes the small savings on materials insignificant. Of course, in S the cost of tools is spread over sales of 5 models, compared to the 10 sold in O. ;)
  3. SuperSport

SuperSport Member

Hi David,
    how are you? ...Yes that's me,
    and thanks for the reply much appreciated.
    I hope to return to Brampton within the
    next year. I have a few friends there and
    family. Are you with a club?

thanks again

4. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Hi Joe:
    Welcome to the gauge. Sounds like you just need to make a decision and start modeling. Be nice to have a few more S-gauge guys here abouts so i'll proselytize for a few moments. There's a ton of good things being made for “S” these days. Just have to look around. Hit Paul York's website,, and go to the links. Hit NASG, http://www.nasg.org/, and go to their links. Also here is a good site, http://www.trainweb.org/mhrr/ho-s-o/ho-s-o.html, where you can find things in other gauges that can be used successfully in “S”.

I’m not a scaler, I confess it, …. I just like to “play” with trains. I like operating accessories, whistles, smoke and choo-choo sounds. But,..mostly,…I like running trains, working yards, and helping kids enjoy trains to get them into the hobby. I use Flyer, Marx, Lionel, K-Line, Plasticville, Banta, Dept 56, Lemax and others in a shameless display of intermingling. The guys and gals here are very patient with me and my “toy” mentality.

I am building some “scale” buildings and things to use on my modules but I’m a novice. Hope I’ll improve with age and time. So, join in the fun and jump into “S”. But if that doesn’t suite, join the fun and jump into “O”, nice website at, http://ogaugerr.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=frm&s=63160042&f=57660482. Either way, this site is a great source of ideas and support for your interests.

Oh, and watch out for those O-conspiracy guys, they’ll take your o gauge dreams and put S-gauge trucks under them. What’s up with THAT!

5. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Narrow gauge Ted, narrow gauge. :D :D :D

Looks ok too.

6. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Hi Greg:
    I know, I know,... but still......

7. Catt

Catt Guest

Repeat after me -0n30-0n30-0n30-0n30-0n30 :D :D :D :D :D
  8. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

But MR calls it On2 1/2....:eek: :eek: :eek: :D What really is interesting, is a fellow who takes SHS cars and put O scale ladders and grab irons on them and then puts HO trucks and Kadee couplers. That is how he gets his On30 bill board reefers.

Welcome to "the-gauge!" Good to see another S person in the forum.

9. Catt

Catt Guest

Speaking of that mag,have you seen the add for BL's new 0n30 C-16? The Grande Valley may find it nessary (SP) to buy one of those beautie's

On the subject of narrow gauge,do you get the Narrowgauge and Shortline Gazette? If you and haven't seen the new issue yet , besure to check out the Aussie 0n30 layout. He started building rolling stock in 1952!!
  10. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

I will have to check them out. Thanks for the heads up.
  11. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Hi Joe. I'm only in the Platelayers now.
    For the rest of the Gauge: When Joe was first thinking about S scale, he made a streamlined passenger car by blowing up some MR plans and mounting them on foam-core board. Somehow he even got the roof curve in. Looked wonderful from a few feet away. Could be a technique for filling in the back siding of your layout!
  12. SuperSport

SuperSport Member

Hi David,
    I forgot about my S scale mock up, I actualy did
    a few diesel locos as well just to see how much real estate I would need. Have you kept in touch with anyone from the
    BMRC? I have run into Dick H. at the annual train show. By the way are there any "shows" or Vendors shows like the they used to have in Etobicoke in the Royal York/QEW area coming up? They used to have a few vendors in O and S scale I think?
    Thank you all for the replys and help.

13. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

flea markets

The flea market moved from the Queensway to Humber College (Hwy 27 and Finch). They held one last month.
    I think the Boomers' Auction is coming up in October; I have to check to be sure.
    Lots of Toy Shows around -- I'm on a mailing list for these, but they're all in Kitchener or farther.
    (I lost touch with the BMRC. We took a break but John never called me and after a while it became too embarassing to ask him.)