S.M.S. Schleswig Holstein, GPM, 1:200, Full hull

cygielski

On US Navy battleships, the turrets were numbered, not named. I don't know if their crews gave them pet names, but it definitely wouldn't be the norm.

cygielski

On US Navy battleships, the turrets were numbered, not named. I don't know if their crews gave them pet names, but it definitely wouldn't be the norm.
Flu - a nice build of a very controversial subject. When GPM first announced its intention to publish this model, the Polish sites were in an uproar for days if not weeks, debating whether the Schleswig-Holstein should even be commemorated this way. Common sense (or commercial sense) finally won out.

cygileski's comment about Polish reaction

Very interesting comment. I guess it would be understandable that many Poles would be upset by a model of the ship, whose gunfire signaled the start of the invasion of Poland, which, in turn, marked the start of WWII and all the entailing suffering.

The Chinese, still smarting from WWII, seem to shun Japanese subjects.

By the way, Fluthecrank, nice work so far.

Art Decko

Gregory Shoda said:
The Chinese, still smarting from WWII, seem to shun Japanese subjects.

Now that's an understatement! :)

Most Chinese I meet, no matter their age, gender, or class, will happily tell you that they "hate" Japan and all Japanese. Maybe genteel city dwellers will say "dislike", but the sentiment is there.

Now, they might be wearing Japanese fashions when they say this, and eating some Japanese snack food while reading Japanese manga, and riding in a Japanese car to an airport built with Japanese funding, but they still hate the Japanese.

You can find exceptions of course, but the sentiment is widespread throughout China.

Back to topic, thanks for putting so much work into this thread, Fluthecrank! The turrets look great!

base of the bridge........

Sorry guys,

but I forgot to take some pics during the work, 1,2,3 and it was finished.......

just have a look

p1010762rs0.jpg

p1010761za7.jpg

p1010764ki3.jpg

p1010763ue6.jpg

o.k. that´s good........

in case of polish reaction:

when I started building models from the polish publishers I was very astonished about the tanks, battleships, planes especialy from WWII because poland is a country which had so much trouble with the Nazi-regime (as all the others, including germany, too).

For me is the technology of the war material interesting, in case of planes I always wonder about the guys who try to fly the machines first (look for the Me 163)..............

so friends,have a niceweekend......

FLU

Renaud

Resistance

Some people in my family in Normandy, living close to the shore, observed the sea from 1940 to 1944, and each one in turn (night and day!), in order to warn the Germans in the event the invasion fleet would come, and they were far from being alone in that region... In 1942, after the battle for Dieppe, Hitler left free all French prisoners coming from the district, rewarding the inhabitants for having not disturb German operations in the area, although political calculations were evident, too.

About Schleswig Holstein, I should have prefer by far the first version of this authentic pre-dreadnought, so few are existing among cardmodels. The ship was obsolete soon after its launching, and of course completely out of date by 1939, whatever improvements were added, and she was no more than a floating coastal-defence battery. Anyway, the Germans could not wrack her, as she was among the rare ships left by the Allies after 1919. So, its aspect, as the GPM model despicts her, is more the result of political considerations and of no interest regarding the history of ship building from 1904-08 to WW2.

more details......

Hi friends,

just look for the next steps, the part from my last posting more detailed:
p1010908ht9.jpg

p1010909wy3.jpg

the next level.....
p1010913gr3.jpg

and the first etched parts
p1010914hz3.jpg

the status at the end of the weekend......
p1010915xd9.jpg

p1010916nk6.jpg

p1010917ql1.jpg

p1010918sz3.jpg

p1010919og0.jpg

I hope you enjoy the pics...........

best regards FLU

Dear Renaud: I spent my holidays very often in France (for about 20 years), mostly in the Bretagne, sometimes in the Normandie. I´m always concerned about all the bunkers along the coast and it´s unbelievable to me that there was a time of war between germans and french..............

disappointing etched parts.........

Hi folks,

why do I order the kit of etched parts although the most important parts aren´t included?

But what to do ? After some trials with plastic and wire I tried to do it like good craftsmenship taught us :roll: just use cardboard..........
look for the templates
p1010920bg7.jpg

the first attempt:
p1010921hi4.jpg

and all the others..........I used a lighted magnifier
p1010923qr1.jpg

and "dry" on the bridge........
p1010924nv2.jpg

best FLU

C

cgutzmer

Super! I assume you had a hole punch for all those porthole covers? Also do you use a scalpel for cutting out those thin parts? I have trouble getting my cuts to go that straight up and down.
Chris

more details..........

@chris:

yes I used a hole punch but not the printed parts, I necer get the line in center, so I used colored cardboard and a hole punch in correct diameter. To cut out I use a scalpel with a very thin blade.

Today I finished the next level and assembled the first relings. I used lasercut relings and etched relings as well. Just have a look:

p1010925ei4.jpg

p1010926ev4.jpg

p1010927qz4.jpg

p1010928ac7.jpg

p1010929ml5.jpg

the stowed reling I found only by the macro pic, meanwhile it´s corrected

best FLU

Renaud

edge colouring

Could you try to add some colour to the white edges of the parts joined together on top of the turret, please, please...

next steps.........

@ renaud, I don´t know what you mean, where is a white dot ? Please tell me what you found....?!!

Hi folks,

another session with a lot of formers.....:wink: :wink: :wink:

p1010930ea2.jpg

p1010931dt9.jpg

p1010932tq9.jpg

p1010934ea2.jpg

best FLU

Renaud

The grey roof of the main turret, since it is not flat but slightly curved, is made of two sheets. It seems to me, after the picture, that you let the cutting edges white. Am I wrong?

extreme thin relings

Hi folks,

to add these thin relings is a bad job (at least for me and my stubby fingers....:grin: )

Image, forming the reling to that shape.......

p1010943ir6.jpg

I finished all relings in the front structures

p1010947em2.jpg

p1010946ym9.jpg

p1010945ys2.jpg

p1010944cg4.jpg

p1010949ba7.jpg

I hope my shelf is fixed enough, but, there are so much bulkheads in the model it´s able to support all the shelf :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
p1010951mc8.jpg

best regards FLU

GB do you use the S6S (HMV) etched kit ?

The etched parts fromHMV (Scheuer&Strüver, Hamburg, are a bit more stiff than the parts from GPM. It´s the first timefor me I used the GPM parts, and, you are right, when it´s finished it will look impressive........that´s always the same with complexe ship models...........and good for the modeler.

best flu

p:s: I have the EMDEN in my stock, if I find a cheap copy-shop I will rescale it up to 1:200, (sadly the etched part kit won´t fit....:-(( )