S.M.S. Schleswig Holstein, GPM, 1:200, Full hull

Hi friends,

my next project is under the motto "back to the roots".

I began cardmodeling with ship models. After incredible experiences with steam engines and planes now I stated with a ship model.
It´s the german Liner "Schleswig Holstein" by GPM in the scale 1:200.

As usual there were a lot of formers to glue on cardboard and cut out. It was not so bad as expected.

At first a look at the kit

it´s a very proper print and everything fits well so far

Just hae a first look to the below waterline hull ( it will be my first full hull model)

p1010254tb8.jpg

p1010255tg8.jpg

the full hull not glued

p1010257bq4.jpg

and the marriage

p1010261im7.jpg

For details I use the etched parts from the publisher......

best regards FLU

Amazyah

This will be a nice one to follow FLU!
Thanks for sharing this with us!
As always, I enjoy following along with all of your builds, no matter what the subject!

Russell

beejay

Hello Flue,
Very nice build so far, but please, S.M.S. Schleswig-Holstein was not a liner. She was a pre-dreadnought Battleship of the 'Deutschland' Class, launched in Dec 7th 1906 and her main claim to fame was that she fired the opening shots of WW2 on Sept 1st 1939, when she bombarded Polish fortifications at point-blank range at Westerplatte. She also ended her days in Poland as she was scuttled at Gydnia 21st March 1945.
Looking forward to seeing her finished
VBR
beejay

cmdrted

Great looking so far Flu! I started in ships also, now you and Ski are starting to "wet my appetite" for something to build nautical. Beejay, maybe when he said liner, he meant a Ship of the Line in very old Nautical terms.

Liner -> Linienschiff.......

Hi beejay,

that´s the problem with non native speakers and leo.org :-D

I gave it the word Linienschiff and it gave me "Liner", "warship" and "ship of the line".

O.K. after your comment it is apparent for me that the Schleswig Holstein is not a liner like the Queen Mary :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: what a mistake.
But, "ship of the line" sounds so bumpy for me, that I never thought that it could be the right term...............anyway, I will correct my mistake.......

best FLU and thank´s for the hint !!

Amazyah

Dang, I was wondering where the big pool was!:roll:
And I thought this was another Titanic build!....Not!

With your building skills FLU, I know this is going to be a very nice looking ship!
Pool or not!:twisted:

Russell

the hull below the waterline.......

Hi friends,

that´s the status of this afternoon, not bad , it´s my first full hull model.
All gaps depend on me..........next step is grinding and coating with white glue....

best regards FLU

p1010278cp3.jpg

p1010279fn0.jpg

p1010280sr6.jpg

Beachead

Novice question

What caught my attention was the statement "next step is grinding and coating with white glue...." I can guess but would like to know what it intails, what does it mean? Thanks,

underwater hull......

Hi folks,

because of the good fit of the parts I decided not to grind. O.K. the bulkheads are visible but in reality the vessels look a bit dented too !

I made a weathering by using watercolors, what do you mean about the build so far ?

p1010287yy0.jpg

p1010288us9.jpg

p1010289qh1.jpg

p1010290oc8.jpg

best regards FLU

beejay

Hello Flu and Cmrdted
Re S.M.S. Schleswig-Holstein
I did not mean to be pedantic, but as Golden Bear correctly said, she was simply called a Battleship at the time. The expression, ship of the line, had passed into history a long time before she was launched. After the commissioning of H.M.S. Dreadnought, the earlier types of Battleships were called Pre-dreadnought Battleships. I think that the German nomenclature was very apt for her, a Schlagtshiff, if my memory of German serves me well. The main point is that your build is progressing very well.
Very best regards
beejay

cdcoyle

With respect, everyone, flu was correct. Up until the 1920's or so, what we would call a battleship in German was called a Linienschiff, literally a "line ship" or "ship of the line". Although the fighting sail doctrine known as a line of battle was long-gone, battleship squadrons did still sail in line formations, hence the name. The term Panzerlinienschiff (armored ship of the line) was also used. Dreadnoughts in German were called Grosslinienschiffe, or "big ships of the line".

Best regards,

barry

battleships

Just take a look at photographs of Jutland and you will see where Ship of the Line came from. Luckily my old Dad was on a cruiser instead of a battleship which wasn't such a sitting duck I think he was 17 . He was an old salt by then he lied about his age (13) at Devonport, (ran away from a Church of England home) the recruiting PO looked up with words No mother, no father then the Navy's your mother now lad however old you are. Todays politicians would have a fit.

what was the meaning of the term "ship of the line"...

Hi friends to give you an idea what the meaning of the term "ship of the line" is, I found a drawing with some hints to the strategy of the line of ships.

It is out of a monography about the Schleswig Holstein.

Just have a look

best regards FLU (I`ll be off until weekend because of a business trip)

DrBill

Interesting descrtiption from Wikipedia, which gives the origin of both "ship of the line" and "battle ship:"

"A ship-of-the-line was a type of naval warship constructed from the 17th century through the mid-19th century, the culmination of a naval tactic known as the line-of-battle, in which two columns of opposing warships would manoeuvre to bring the greatest weight of broadside guns to bear. Since these engagements were almost invariably won by the heaviest ships carrying the most powerful guns, the natural state of progression was to build the largest, most powerful sailing vessels at the time, which in turn would lead to the title line-of-battle-ship being bestowed upon them, in effect making these vessels the ancestors of the battleship."

Wikipedia article on "Ship of the Line"

the shell plates

Hi friends,

today I started with the vessels skin, everything fits well, it´s a fun to build this model (so far).........

just look for yourself:

p1010484pc1.jpg

p1010485ru7.jpg

image0001ao4.jpg

image0002vb5.jpg

image0003jv4.jpg

best FLU