S-IC: A hidden particolar

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Nando, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

Looking for details of the S-IC (i’m preparing to build the Greelt’s one) I found an important detail that I never saw in the pictures around: the retro-rockets.

In the picture below, depicting a particular of the thrust structure, You can see the retro-rockets that are housed in the F-1 engine fairing.

In the 3D picture below again the pair of retro-rockets housed in the fairing…

…and below a screen-shot of space simulator Orbiter that depicts the first staging with the retro-rockets on the S-IC and the ullage-rockets in the S-II burning away, Illustrating what had to happen in the reality.

But, as You can see in the particular below of the Apollo-15 turn-around move at the VAB, the rockets could to be installed very late on the S-IC. :confused:

Two questions:
    Has someone saw a picture of the installed retro-rockets?
    When the retro-rockets were kindled, was the fairing blown away (no opening are visible)?

Thanks, Nando :)

NULLMOON Member

i wondered about those theres a book i have that showed them
  3. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Pretty cool. They really thought through the separation sequences between stages to get good sep.

According to my trusty Saturn V CD, the Retros fired through the fairing. The 8 solid motors each delivered 86600 pounds of thrust for .7 of a second (that's probably why we never see them fire).

I'd install them "late" also ... that's a LOT of explosives sitting around otherwise.
  4. Nando

Thanks SAustin16 for the information You give me. :)

Which "Saturn V CD" do You refer? I'm tirelessly looking for documentation about Saturn and all things involved in the Apollo era (books, CD, pictures, documents on line, etc.). :mad:

Finally I agree with You about the "late installation", but what do you think about the Shuttle's SRBs? They are soon assembled in the VAB around the ET and then the Orbiter joins the stack. A VERY LOT of explosive!

Do You agree? :wink:

Best Nando

5. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

? SRB's

The SRB's are stacked in the VAB, due to the sizes of the sections. They take much care in the handling them. The folks are very careful! That is why tours of the VAB are so limited these days. The CEV handling area, (Formally Apollo CSM low bay area), is being remodeled now. They are being very careful to keep that work, (and workers), off/away from the Higbay area, (Due to the explo. danger).

6. Nando

Thanks to update me about the changing of the procedures at the VAB that it was necessary to put in place.

It's very interesting how the Agency had to adapt the old infrastructures at the new needs.

In the meantime I started to build Your CM in the post-flight version. I'll keep You informed about the progress.

Thanks, Nando

PS: could You suggest me what I absolutly have to see at KSC in my planned trip? You cold send to me a PM. Thanks again...:)
  7. Ewald Haruksteiner

Ewald Haruksteiner New Member

Hy, Nando

I have found an information to the retro rockets:

"Here is a good view of the engine fairing forward tip, showing the overlap (not depicted on most models) and the stringers on it and the thrust structure. You can see the faint separation line just forward of the fin leading edge. Here the retro-rockets underneath would burn through and away the forward part of the fairing. The Quad IIII marking is visible."

I hope it will help
    Ewald from Austria
  8. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Another point!

The retro rockets burning thru was also a major stumble block in the re-cover, & re-use of the booster, studies. The damage, (Post flight), was never seen first hand, (So We will never know if it would have been a major refurb job).

I don't think it would be worth modeling the retros. Unless You plan on having the fairings removable for display viewing.

Have a great day,

9. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

10. Nando

Thanks to all of you

Thanks to all of You for the answer to my questions.

I was impressed by the skill I found in the members of this forum and i'm learning day by day a lot of hints and tricks to do better and better the models, but I uncovered which amount of wisdom is hidden and available in everyone of you: it is sufficient to ask some information that generously many of you share their knowledge. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And therefore finally I can see the retro rockets (even if the dummies one).

I apology for my english and I hope You can understand my mind. :oops:

Best, Nando :grin:
  11. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Hi Nando,

I agree. The many voices here are always helpful in some way. Watching them build models provides endless inspiration and has really helped my modeling skills.

My wife bought me the Saturn V "America's Apollo Moon Rocket" by World Spaceflight News. For someone like me who knew very little, but wanted to know the details, this is a GREAT CD. It has about 25 different documents, and all are very helpful.

12. Nando

Following Your suggestion about a book, I remembered something of similar in a book me too and I found It in the "SA-503 Saturn V Flight Manual"

Here a page with the schema of S-IC's Retro Rockets ...
  13. Nando

....and here the description

...Sorry but the age is the worse beast (Italian slang) :cry: