?'s for you pros out there.

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by causticphlegm, Nov 10, 2007.

1. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

OK, please bear with me. I have a few questions that may sound a little pedestrian but I gotta start somewhere.

1. Are laser cut parts (treads, formers, railings) worth the extra money? I don't mind spending the money if it's gonna save me from pulling my hair out by the roots.

2. How are metal barrels attached to models? I know that they are small but does the extra weight make them a problem over rolling paper ones? Which would you recommend? Again, buying them is not a problem if it saves hassles.

3. Photo-etched parts. What the heck are they and how would it benefit me?

I WAS going to order this the Hobby Factory, but I think I'm jonesing for a nice ship (plus their checkout gets stuck trying to contact Canada Post server). I'm going to order from Paper Model Store. They have a great selection..thus my quandry. Which ship to order for a beginner? I was thinking a 1:200 scale since the parts won't be microscopic :) Anyone have a recommendation? Keep in mind this will be a model that will NOT get finished all at once. My first love is Scifi and I will most likely take breaks from ship building to do other projects. I'm looking for a long-term, interrupted relationship. :mrgreen:

Thanks for any answers, comments, suggestions. Cheers.aussie
  2. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

add on parts are worth it if you are looking to make it as realistic as possible.paper tracks are very tedious if you attempt a complex one. as for metal barrels you may need some reinforcemnt on the turret. i use a form of super glue in my works.tank models are pretty stable so you shouldnt have to worry about rollovers.

photo etched parts are super detailed and often very tiny parts etched in brass. they ar the best way to enhance any model. i have a huge spare pile of photo etched parts from my resin and plastic days. i will use them on occasion on paper projects. as a matter of fact i just used some "PE" railing on the astral queen i just finished.
  3. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Great, thanks for the reply.
  4. Darwin

Darwin Member

Pamer Model Store is a great company to work with, as is Hobby Factory. For someone living in the US, Paper Model Store is likely the better choice with respect to postage and delivery time. I'm not sure the assumption holds that the larger the scale, the easier the parts are to work with. My experience is the larger the scale, the smaller the detail the designer is tempted to model in 3D rather than depict graphically, so in the long run, you wind up having to deal with far more fiddly little bits by going with a 1:200 scale than 1:400. With respect to which kit to take on as a first project, there will be as many opinions as there are members of the group. My own recommendation would be the Maly Modelarz Bismark kit. If you like sail, the new Maly Modelarz Cutty Sark kit would be a good choice. Make sure you get the "new" kit (published after year 2000), as the publishing quality is considerably better than the older version. The model is quite buildable....although the house ate it before it was completed (the hull fell behind a large bookcase and lodged too far down for retrieval tools to reach), I had no fit problems whatever.
  5. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Thanks for the tips Darwin. I went with these from papermodelstore.com (hobbyfactory wasn't working and they didn't respond to my emails):

Paper Model Store
    Paper Model Store
    Paper Model Store

All under 10 bucks. I went with the sub over a ship because of the far less detail. These are my first commercial models. I figured that if I totally screw them up, the worst I'm out is a lousy 10 bucks. :)