S-3A Viking

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by NOBI, Mar 31, 2009.

  1. Ponytail

    Ponytail Member

    Testbuildreport: 5 - Landinggear.

    And now we come to the final stage in this testbuild-journey. It was not the easiest thing to do with my too big hands but I did. Thus: So can you!

    The main landinggear consists of several small parts which have to be transformed into tiny little tubes. Using needles and stiff wire helped a lot. As glue I used whiteglue again to make the paper soft and easy to bend. After drying it becomes hard and stiff. And that's what needed!
    First remark: no fit problem or whatsoever.

    Started with the first tube. The second part can be done with a buttjoint. The parts are too small to have gluetab also... I used a different methode: tissue-reinforcement. Through the tube I slided a little piece of rolled tissue, dry.


    Next the following part is pushed on this little roll which is 'wetted' with a drop of whiteglue. The extending tissue can easily be pushed inside due to the softness.


    Finally a needle is pinned into the still some wet and soft tissue inside the tubes. This keeps the construction straight, adds stiffnes and will be useful when fixing the gear onto the fuselage. The pinheads are removed when dry.


    The other struts get a needle or pin inside as well and the point will be pinned in the others to connect them together.


    A little whiteglue to fix the paper to eachother and let dry: a sturdy construction.


    In the wheelbays (-pattern) on the fuselage some holes are made on the right place and the cutted ends of the pins in the landinggear are pinned there and all fixed with whiteglue.

    You see!


    The wheels are made of 4 or 5 greyboard discs and with sandingpaper shaped. A layer of black paint and glued against the landinggear using another pin for axle. The dare-devils amongst us could even think about making the wheels rotate. I decided not to...
    The whole thing is completed by adding the wheelbay-doors, glued with a buttjoint.


    The last parts are 6 little vanes or antennas.

    And so this testbuild-journey has reached its goal: a nice model of an attractive airplane!
    Conclusion: NOBI has again made a fine design. This beta still had some little flaws but overall no real fitproblems. The used construction methods of the various sections are well chosen. By following the partsnumbers there's no need for a written manual. The schematics are sufficient.
    An easy buildable kit for also the little experienced builder. A true NOBI-Kit.

    Final note to NOBI: Do the suggested editing and the kit is ready for publishing.

    Look here to see what you get:


    And here is the END of this journey
  2. bf109

    bf109 Member

    great work and tips thank you:thumb::thumb:
  3. BCA

    BCA New Member

    There's one final trick to forming the nose radome/prop spinner. When the part has started to firm up a little, use a tablespoon or a teaspoon (depending on part size) and start rubbing the spoon over the exterior of the part. you'll be amazed at how smooth the petal joints become, and it doesn't hurt the color or exterior of the part because of the smoothness of the spoon's surface.
  4. Texman

    Texman Guest

    I absolutely love the landing gear tips and tricks! That is innovation.

    Well done

  5. sr5nm

    sr5nm Member

    Great build and it looks like a woderful kit. A couple of torpedoes hanging from the pylons and an extending MAD (Magnetic Anomoly Detector) boom and it will shame the ERTL/ESCII styrene kit.
  6. Alcides

    Alcides Member

    A beautiful and impressive build. I don't think it's a beta :thumb:

    Nobi as always delivers very good models.
  7. stickyFingers

    stickyFingers New Member

    Great job!

    Although, I personally don't like S3's. When in the Navy A 6 almost blew me right into a turning S3 engine. At that time it didn't look anything more than a huge, low hanging meat grinder. By the grace of God I was able just to reach out and grab the nose of the S3 and that was enough to stop me. Or maybe it was just some of that tissue and glue technique.

    Good job.

Share This Page