S-3A Viking

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by NOBI, Mar 31, 2009.

1. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi there,

Just inform you that I just finish re-design S-3 Viking in Rhino and need someone to final build to take a pictures for my website.

2. Ponytail

Ponytail Member

Shall I give it a try?

Greetings from Holland,

3. Ponytail

Ponytail Member

To all,

Nobi gave me the honour to testbuild the S-3A Viking.
    See what I made of it:

:wave:Greetings from Holland
  4. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

Wow Ponytail that is a great build! Just goes to show what a good builder and a well designed model can do!:thumb:
  5. Texman

Texman Guest

Wow, nicely done. I just about have the fuselage on both of my S-3s done. Should have pics by Monday.

I notice your colors are considerably brighter and saturated than mine. What printer and paper did you use?

6. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Very great build....

I think i did something wrong on nose and need to redo on that section...give me a time :)
  7. piginapoke

piginapoke Member

Lovely model.

The viking is one of my favourite modern military aircraft. Don't know why, it just looks good.

I did think the nose looked a little elongated, but the model is great nonetheless

Well done

8. BARX2

BARX2 Member

My first thought was Wow and I see a lot of other wows, too. Great build!
  9. Ponytail

Ponytail Member

Testbuildreport: 1 - Printing

Nobi agreed it was a good idea to do this report in the Forum. So here it goes:

After downloading from "a secret place" I had the first look on the files. The kit consists of 3 pages with parts, 3 manualpages with schematics and a coverpage. The overall colors seemed a bit dull and too light to me. What I believed to be black looked brownish on my screen. So I made a testprint..
    Even worse! It took a significant adjustment of color, contrast and saturation to make the color good enough for me. My adjustmenst: 5% less yellow, 10% extra contrast and 20% extra saturation, using an Canon Pixma 4300-printer.
    To NOBI: This should be fixed in the finally published kit.
    Over all the printing is very good and sharp, but needs much more spice!

To be continued...
  10. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Nobi and Ponytail,

Outstanding effort.
  11. Ponytail

Ponytail Member

Testbuildreport: 2 - Body

When the printing was done, using 160 gr/m2 paper, the cutting&pasting could start.
    Because there is no written manual I just followed the partsnumbers, so started with the center-fuselage, part 1 and its sub-parts. The construction is the well known, classic method: tubes with bulkheads and seperate gluetabs for connecting. No real fitting problems were found!

The 8-figured shape of the cockpit.

And here a mis-print appeared: half the black of the nosewheel-bay is missing.

To NOBI: needs some editing!

The cockpit-roof and -window needed a few tabs that were not supplied in the kit. Just some strips of paper did the job!

The nose is closed with an dome-shaped part. This was made with the 'tissue-method': close the cone and let dry. Then gently press it on the tabel till the teeth get curved and closed against eachother. Put some glue inside and press some tissuepaper on. Keep in shape till dry, more or less. Using waterbased white glue made it simple: the soaked paper gets soft and keeps the shape in which it was bend.

The tail was done in the same manner.

The following picture was taken when the tissue/glue was still wet. The gaps between the theeth closed almost totally when drying which made the tissue shrink!

The fuselage completed.

To be continued...
  12. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Beautiful work! Thanks for the pictures.
  13. bf109

bf109 Member

super ponytail :thumb:
    will follow this thread for sure !

ps wat voor lijm gebruik je ?
  14. Ponytail

Ponytail Member

Hallo Bf109,

Ik gebruik vooral eenvoudige doorzichtige huishoudlijm op acetonbasis.
    meestal van V&D.
    Daarnaast een simpele witte papierlijm op waterbasis, zoiets als witte houtlijm.
    Heb ooit voor een paar centen wat knijpflesjes gekocht bij de Wibra....

Ben niet tevreden over de doorzichtige huishoudlijm op waterbasis. Teveel water waardoor het papier teveel vervormt.

ps wat voor lijm gebruik je ?
  15. Ponytail

Ponytail Member

Testbuilreport: 3 - Wings & fins & rudder

As already seen in the last picture in buildreport 2 the mainspars and root-rib were made of the printpage glued on appr. 1 millimeter thick greyboard.
    First the mainspar is gently pushed through the slots in the fuselage/body. Be careful not to break it at the slots for the root-rib!
    Next the ribs are fixed. And when it has gone well it should look like this:

The root-ribs have the same length as the pattern on the body. At the point they will be inside the wing they will be too long, due to the backward shaped wingfront. This should be corrected. I found out whilst building and by then then glue was already dry... By folding outward things also became as they should be.

To NOBI: make the root-ribs somewhat shorter to fit inside the wing without folding.

The wings are bend and curved in the right shape. A thin line of glue at the ends fixes the form. Be shure not to warp them!
    Finally spread some glue inside and on de mainspar. Then slide the wing over the the spar and rib, against the fuselage. The edges there got some (waterbased) white glue and made a perfect fit against the body.
    Why waterbased glue? I found this glue makes the paper some what soft and the edges curve some out to the dry side of the paper. This makes the gaps easily closing and gives a good fit.
    And here another little mistake appeared:

The grey pattern on the back of the fuselage is smaller.

To NOBI: the grey patter should be extended to the line.

The tailwings have only a mainspar. Simply slide through the slots and the wings over it.

The rudder has no spar or root-rib. Only a buttjoint on the fuselage seemed to week to me. This is the same with the engine-support.
    Therefore is made a sort of rib-root and glued it in place. De rudder fits wel over it. The picture shows a rib a used at the engines, but gives the idea.

Also here: a little waterbased glue at the inside edges gives a perfect fit! In this kit hardly necessairy, but still...

To NOBI: Add root-ribs for the rudder and both ends of the engine-supports. Also for the armament-racks (or whatever they are....).

To be continued...
  16. Thales

Thales New Member

Egads that looks cool! I can't wait for this one to be released.
  17. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Excellent work, Ponytail. I believe the armament racks are called pylons. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  18. bf109

bf109 Member

gebruik uhu droogt lekker snel maar nog genoeg tijd om te schuiven , min punt is dat het draden trekt als je niet oppast .
    ben nog maar een beginner en zo te zien jij niet :) en het is altijd interessant om te zien en horen hoe andere het doen

groetjes bf109
  19. doctormax

doctormax Member

Excellent build this, it is helpful to see how people build really. Like does one do the wings first. I think one thing should be thought when designing is this to number in order that would be best for building. Don't know if you do that Nobi never built one of your models. Just one thing that annoys me with some models. Part 1 joins to part 30 or worse. One other thing that would be good. for helping does of us making paper models. is this. how about a colour coding in the numbers on models for parts for formers. wing parts and so on it would help so much. Really just a suggestion Need not be taken up just giving my two euro's worth. To be honest I don't see them major model makers taken up my suggestion anytime this side of hell freezing. :wave:
  20. Ponytail

Ponytail Member

Testbuildreport: 4 - Engines & pylons.

As the 'cliffhanger'-picture in the former episode of this series already announces I came into the fase for building the engines. At the lower part of the wings are the mentioned 2 engines and 2 pylons, for bombs and armament I guess.
    Starting with the pylons I found no supporting parts to support the construction: the pylons were supposed to be fixed with only a buttjoint. No gluetabs or whatever. This seemed to weak to me so I decided to make again a sort of root-rib. 4 of them made of 1 mm-greyboard. After folding-bending and closing of the parts the pylons and enginemounts could firmly be attached underwing.

Next were the engines. Here also the desinger works with the classic cones-method. Here a little problem occured, I think due to the computerdesign: not taken in account was the paperthickness. The inside inletcone had the same diameter as did the outside cone. This made it not possible to get them even at the front without some force.

As shown in the picture the seems are a bit widened due to the forced sliding in and became extra visible. Better in this respect would be if the seems become covered, mainly, by the enginemount.
    The paperthickness is also not counted for at the exhaust-side of the engine.
    Mainly the engine exists of 2 segments. To connect these here also is a buttjoint designed. Adding a greyboard disc of the right size improved the construction and strength considerably.

To NOBI: A little correction as described for the paperthickness and get the seam at the top. Plus extra discs for connections.

A root-rib was added here too to fix the engine firmly on its mount.
    It is very good to see the fit is almost perfect!
    The final parts made us come to the littlest of things on this model: the frontpart of the enginemount. Why do my hands have such thick saucages...? Ah well, with some help from my friend (needles, toothpick) the thingies came well into place.

This made the model ready in flying mode, but the design has 'opened' wheelbays, so I have to go on with this journey...

To be continued...