Rutland Custom Boxcar

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Here is the Rutland Boxcar I have been talking about for awhile. I finally finished yesterday when I got home from work.

Road: Rutland
Kit: Atheran Wood Boxcar - Undecorated
Paint: Folk Art Barnyard Red
Dry Transfers: CDS Lettering
Weathering Dry Brush: Polly Scale Grimy Black
Weathering Wash: Polly Scale Grimy Black
Sealer: Testors Dullcoat

Attachments

• rutland_boxcar_1.jpg
    rutland_boxcar_1.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 106

Vic

Hey Tom, Great looking car:) The more I see of that Folk Art paint the better I like it but still haven't tried it yet....did you airbrush it?

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Thanks everybody.

Yes Vic I did airbrush with the Folk Art. I thinned it with windshield wiper fluid at a 1:1 ratio. On this car I experimented and did not do an undercoat of gray. I airbrushed the barnyard red over the black shell. It took four coats to cover. After doing it this way I think I will continue to use an undercoat of gray in the future.

The most important thing that I found with using this paint is that you have to seal it otherwise it may scratch off. I used Testors Dullcoat before I started the lettering. I sealed it again before I began the weathering process so I would not damage the lettering.

The weathering was done first by dry brushing with Polly Scale Grimy Black straight out of the bottle. After that dried I gave the car a brush coat of wash made from 5 parts windshield wiper fluid to 1 part Polly Scale Grimy Black. I then sealed the car one last time with the Dullcoat.

shamus

Registered Member
Hey Tom,
Thats excellent work my friend, looks brilliant.

Shamus
wink.gif

Tom, that's another great job with the craft acrylics. And the weathering is outstanding also!

I think you're on to something important with the undercoating and Dullcoat-topcoating, though. It's something to possibly explore further and then maybe revive that old "airbrushing acrylics" thread we had going some time back. ;)

Railery

Tom u can keep posting all those great pics. :D But i am not going to work any faster on my basement so i can get at my layout :( ;)

Lighthorseman

Nice Job!

I've read your "Airbrushing With Acrylics" thread, and BOY does this system ever work for you. An OUTSTANDING job!

Cannot wait for more!:) :)