Rusty Loco Made From card

prm57

May 28, 2013
Midlands England
Hi after the kind coments on my first post i thought i would post some pictures of my latest model. I just managed to finish it for my local transport show in May. I had done 5 card model locos and wanted to try something different. I like a challenge so i decided to see if i could make a rusty loco. There where many in a scrapyard at Barry Island Wales after the end of steam in the uk. Allot of which have now been restored. I hadn't got a clue how to go about making the rust effect or whether it would work on a cardboard loco. I had never seen it done anywhere. I tried many different experimental ways. I also tried the kits you can buy but you get very little and on a model this size it would have been far too expensive. After many tries i used this method. First i purchased some scouring pads (wire wool). I placed them in a dish in my greenhouse for a bit of heat. I then sprayed them twice a day with salt water for about a month. This reduced them to a rust powder. I then mixed this powder with some matt varnish and painted it on the part to be rusted. Two coats of this then left to dry for 24 hours between each coat. Then sanded the coated parts with fine sandpaper. I think it turned out ok and at a relatively small cost. it was a bit messy and time consuming though. I would think this method could be used on any card model. The parts do need to be undercoated first. The model is the same scale as my others at 20 to 1 and measures about 3 foot (915mm) long. It is built from scratch using scale dawings and photos and took about a year to finish.

Attachments

• Braunton 1.jpg
    Braunton 1.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Braunton 2.jpg
    Braunton 2.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Braunton 3.jpg
    Braunton 3.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Braunton 4.jpg
    Braunton 4.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 73
  • Braunton 5.jpg
    Braunton 5.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Braunton 6.jpg
    Braunton 6.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Braunton 7.jpg
    Braunton 7.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 80

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
It's ironic how your model chronicles the rusted derelict engine before restoration. It's an excellent way of showing how so many things should be preserved. :)

prm57

May 28, 2013
Midlands England
Yes it was scratch built using scale drawings and photos. I have 3 models in a preserved railway museum but these are made from matchsticks to the same scale.

prm57

May 28, 2013
Midlands England
We have dozens of preserved railways in the uk. One you can travel 21 miles behind steam. There are several hundred preserved engines here many of which are in steam. Some operate on the preserved railways and some on main line specials although lots are still in the condition of my model.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
This is simply FANTASTIC!!!! The amount of detail and work you have put into it is remarkable. Major kudos to a very, very fine job.

And we still haven't got a big "WOW!" smiley! :)