Rust in peace

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by railroader9731, Apr 2, 2006.

1. the other day at work i got the chore of sleeping....... i mean sweeping anyhow by one of the motors i found a very eveil enamy to real trains rust dust as i call it so i sweept some into a vile and brought it home. i tried it on a box car and it leaves a nice rust effect behind it also work for pitting. any questions feel free to ask. ill try and get the photo up when she drys
  2. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

Who would have thought of using real rust for rust effects? :thumb: :thumb: I guess the only question is how did you apply it? Dry brushing? I wonder how it would look on rails.
  3. i first apply a mix of 70% isopropyl alcohol and tea spoon of india ink (to the whole bottle of 70%) this way it has something to hold on to after that mix drys then i dry brush the rust on as for pits use a glue or another method you may have. oh and apply a clear coat for handilng reasons. after i do a light brush of art chulk you can make your own darkness after i add rust pits then with a wet brush and a color rust of your choice pull down streaks :thumb: if you want pics leave email and ill show em off.
  4. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Got any pictures? :)

5. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

I would like to see your pics to. Sounds really cool and I am goin to try it.:)
  6. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

I'm a... experimenter myself at times, as we all are (I think). But I would be concerned about using metal dust (rust) around my layout. I have read elsewhere that metal flakes etc, can get up into your motors and gears and start giving you problems.

Just a thought.