Russian Tsarist battleship Tri Svatiteliya

Tri Svatiteliya was the second Tsarist battleship that I built. Three pictures are shown below.
TriSvatitelya_0857.JPG

TriSvatitelya_0860.JPG

TriSvatitelya_0859.JPG

Tri Svatiteliya's superstructure was later reduced (cut down) so that her appearance was markedly different during WWI, in which she was active in operations with the Black Sea fleet.

Clashster

Another beautiful model! Very cool! With all your posting of these ships, I may have to build one! Thanks!

Chris

Art Decko

Very nice!

Gregory, OT, but do you know about the recent pc game "Distant Guns"? It's a very nice naval sim of the Russo-Japanese War. Extremely detailed ships, if you like pre-dreadnoughts, you might enjoy it!

Thanks JHS

Thanx for the kind words. I prefer working on non-kit subjects, but I admire the craftmanship of those who work with kits, especially kits in the larger 1/200 & 1/250 scales, which are very highly detailed. I'm not sure I have the patience (and maybe other attributes) for that kid of intense work. I think the airplane guys are tremendous.

Bowdenja

Nice job Gregory!

I believe you could do a wonderful larger scale kit build............ your attention to detail shows now!

john

Jim Krauzlis

Well, I think your ship models are tremendous!

As John said, superb attention to detail in each model...can't wait to see what other models you've built!

Cheers!
Jim

JHS

I am particularly impressed by your collection of WWI British dreadnoughts. Did you use the plans in Burt's BRITISH BATTLESHIPS for these? They are wonderful naval architectural models and beautifully show the development of design. They belong in a museum!

http://www.steelnavy.com/HerculesGShoda.htm

Thanks Bowdenja & Jim for your kind words. I will have some pictures of Rostislav ready in a few days.

I like the look of Russian and French predreadnoughts as they displayed such a wide variation in appearance and were designed to look warlike, the so called "fierce-faced" look.

JHS: Thanks again. As a matter of fact, I did use the drawings in Burt's British Battleships of WWI as the basis for most of my British WWI capital ships. Unfortunately, I had previously made a few British capital ships with some very basic plans that I obtained from INRO and elsewhere. The drawings in Burt were far superior and resulted in my best models.

JHS

I wish you would do a "how to" on the technique you used for the British dreadnought models and for using the Burt plans. I like to scratchbuild in paper and seeing others' methods is always informative!

Teamski

Wow, that is excellent! I love the detailing. Well done! I can't believe that they are scratch built. Amazing....

-Ski

bonmaquettiste

Dear Gregory,

This is a very beautiful model of TRI SVIATITELIA.

I would like to try to build this model.

Have you prepared any drawings or patterns by any chance?

Best regards,

Alain

bonmaquettiste

Dear Gregory,

This is a very beautiful model of TRI SVIATITELIA.

I would like to try to build this model.

Have you prepared any drawings or patterns by any chance?

Best regards,

Alain

Reply to Scott & Alain

Dear Scott:

Yes, unfortunately, all of the Burt books are very expensive. I was lucky enough to buy the book long ago when it was published by Naval Institute Press, so mine cost in the $30 price range and extra for shipping. A smart person could make bundles of money by speculating on good naval references. I thought I remembered a Russian Internet website that posted the drawings. I spent several days looking for the website. The name of the website was Balancer, which is a Russian forum. However, it was tedious and I could not upload normal sized images. I also wonder about the legality.

Dear Alain:

For Tri Svatiteliya, I used drawings from V.M. Tomich's Warships of the Imperial Russian Navy. These were probably not highly reliable, but the book provided drawings of all of the Tsarist battleships, which was the original basis for my project. As I have come across more reliable drawings, I have stopped using the drawings from the book. Reviewing my Russian references, I notice that there is a fine plan and profile drawing of Tri Sviatiteliya as modified in 1911-12 in Stephen McLaughlin's book Russian & Soviet Battleships.

If you would like photocopies of either drawings, send me a private message with your mailing address & I will mail them to you.

Reply to Scott & Alain

Dear Scott:

Yes, unfortunately, all of the Burt books are very expensive. I was lucky enough to buy the book long ago when it was published by Naval Institute Press, so mine cost in the $30 price range and extra for shipping. A smart person could make bundles of money by speculating on good naval references. I thought I remembered a Russian Internet website that posted the drawings. I spent several days looking for the website. The name of the website was Balancer, which is a Russian forum. However, it was tedious and I could not upload normal sized images. I also wonder about the legality.

Dear Alain:

For Tri Svatiteliya, I used drawings from V.M. Tomich's Warships of the Imperial Russian Navy. These were probably not highly reliable, but the book provided drawings of all of the Tsarist battleships, which was the original basis for my project. As I have come across more reliable drawings, I have stopped using the drawings from the book. Reviewing my Russian references, I notice that there is a fine plan and profile drawing of Tri Sviatiteliya as modified in 1911-12 in Stephen McLaughlin's book Russian & Soviet Battleships.

If you would like photocopies of either drawings, send me a private message with your mailing address & I will mail them to you.