russian nuclear submarine Project 971 - Szczuk (Akula Class) Help Needed

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by Nando, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

I found in the Polish Forum Kartonwork this thread about the build of a model of the russian nuclear submarine Project 971 - Szczuk (Akula Class). It's a wonderful model that i always looked for but in vain. In the thread I found this link at the site, where, I think, we can buy the special issue #5 of the Modelarstwo Okrętowe (Model Shipbuilding) magazine, where the model is published, but Google translator doesn't help me so well and I need some help from someone who can explain us how can we buy this model. Here attached a model picture and the cover of the magazine.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Attached Files:

2. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Click "Do Koszyka"
    Click the shopping cart icon on the top right of the page
    In the field "Dostawa na terenie kraju" choose your destination
    Click "Zloz zamowienie" - this will take you to the registration screen
    If you are not planning more shopping there, you can uncheck the "Tak, chce sie zarejestrowac...." field
    Fill up the form with your information:
    osoba prywatna - private
    pan - Mr
    imie - first name
    nazwisko - last name
    adres - address
    kod/miejscowosc - zip code/ city
    kraj - country
    telefon - phone

It appears that the only accepted form of payment is bank transfer.
    I did not venture any further as I do not plan to order anything from them.
    Hope this helps.
  3. Nando

Thank You Michael for Your help, You are very kind as usual. I'll try to understand how can I transfer money, may be directly asking more information to they by email.

Thanks again, Nando :thumb:
  4. Nando

I wrote to them but no answer till now ... may be for my english ... :confused:
  5. tglenchur

tglenchur Member

Some Related Links for the Akula II 971 and Delta III 667 Submarines

I found some related posts for the design and production of the model Akula II that you've sought information.

Using Google Translator
    these links describe the model design using Rhino 3 / 4:

It concludes with the Akula paper patterns in this post:

In a related post, a Delta III paper pattern is described:

A modeller found that his inkjet printout ran when sprayed with hairspray (you may need to view the google cached page):

Special Issue 5 details here:,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,293/func,view/catid,525/id,23094/

English translation here:

"Of course, in accordance with tradition, the number has been Special added cardboard model. This time, in the "kit" you will find a model (long expected) Russian nuclear submarine underwater designer 791 (g AKULA. NATO) in the scale of 1:200. The length of 55 cm model, 4 sheets of cardboard sheets and 4 parts offset with shells."

Hope this helps,

Tom G.
  6. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

Try sending an e-mail to saga(at) I just ordered issue 18 using this e-mail address and paypal. Just send the issue Number(s) you want and the country you want them shipped to and they send you back the cost and a paypal account to send the money to.

~ cheers
  7. Nando

Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks !!!!

Thanks B-Manic, I just sent my Paypal payment to Saga editor! :thumb:

Thanks tglenchur, Your links are very interesting: It's wonderful to follow the process that leads from a drawing to the model. I'm trying to learn Sketchup in this weeks and I always wonder for the power of the Rhino tool, or is it matter of the designer's skill? :eek:

Thanks shoki2000 for Your kindness and availability, but I prefer to use Paypal instead of Bank Transfer. :mrgreen:

I will keep You all informed, about the model, and, may be, I will show the build process .... :wave:

Best, Nando
  8. Shin_kazama

Shin_kazama Member

frak, it isnt free.....

i was hoping to build a vac form for RC controlled diving...

does anyone know of a free nuclear submarine papermodel?
  9. tglenchur

tglenchur Member

10. Nando

Incidentally, I can suggest another Skipjack model that I
    built and modified in this thread. You can find the
    link to this model in my thread (see my signature below)
    or here, in the site of the original designer.

Best, Nando
  11. Nando

Another one, not nuclear but free, is the SS590 Oyashio published at Heppoko Paper model Studio . It's a simple but beatiful model and I enjoyed my self building it.

Attached Files:

12. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

How long was it before Saga responded? I sent an email a few days ago and haven't heard back.
  13. Nando

I sent an email on november, 18th and the same day they answered my questions about availability and PayPal account.
    The same day I put my payment and the next day they answered that they were sending my magazine next day. So
    the Akula could be underway. :mrgreen:
  14. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Thanks. Maybe I'll resend the email. Hopefully the shipping isn't too steep.
  15. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

I got my issue #18 in a week. Total cost was $18.00 US. They do combined shipping so if you want a couple of issues a few dollars can be saved.
  16. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I sent another email and he responded immediately. Already ordered issue #5!
  17. Nando

The Akula docked at my home today! :mrgreen:
    At the first glance It seems to be a beautiful model but
    not easy, at least for my skill. I copied It with my scanner, so I can
    print many copies as much as I need for my mistakes.

Best, Nando :thumb:

Attached Files:

18. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I got the kit and translated the instructions into English using Google but there are a few words that didn't translate. There is a reference to two methods to build the hull, but I haven't quite discerned them due to translation errors. If anyone wants to take my Word doc and try to improve it, PM me. I have also included the Polish instructions in the doc for reference. I can convert the doc to text if needed.
  19. R6_poland

R6_poland New Member

hi my name is john, i found this topic accidentally when i was trying to find plans of rc engel akula models

i came from poland and if you want i cen help you with translation i just need plans or just txt you want me to translate
  20. R6_poland

R6_poland New Member

i see you all like paper models

so ill have little "christmas gift" for you all

in poland there is a lot of companies that make paper models
    here you have
    red october - typhoon class by nato

and here is los angeles class

and many many others on that site

exchange rate is very good one euro = 4,11 PLN or 4.11 ZŁ so it is good time to buy some models maybe even a big package or some group shopping

if you have some problems with polish words here is quite good solution it is online diary that can help you with popular words translation

i hope my english is good enought and i make you all smile when read that post :)

merry christmas guys :)