Russian N1

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by winterschmied, Oct 13, 2006.

1. winterschmied

winterschmied Member

as a newbe at this forum and to cardmodeling, I have some questions.
    I tried to scale the model of the N1 (russian Moonrocket) from R. Currell up from scale 1:144 to scale 1:96. But I do'nt know how to do with Adobe Reader. So I have done it at a copyshop. Now the Paper is not very stiff (80g at A3 sheet) and I think the complete Model will be a bit wobbely. Does anyone knew how to scale up a PDF?
  2. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I'd like to know this as well.
  3. petero

petero New Member

I'm a newbie around here, but I can answer this question...

Acrobat Reader does not allow you to directly scale a PDF file. There are a few workarounds though:

1) Set the Paper Scaling to "Fit to Paper", then play with the printer's paper size, until the resulting printout is the right size.

2) If you have the full Adobe Acrobat version (not just the Reader), you can extract the files to JPEG files and print them using a graphics program.

3) You can print the PDF, scan the pages and print them using a graphics program.

Also, you might be able to email the creator, and ask for JPEG files of the pages.

4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

You can also get pdf converting programs off of the internet that will convert the pdf to a format that you can work with in another program such as paint shop.
    I believe one of the conversion programs is called pdf995. There are others and I am sure some other members here can point you in the right direction.

After converting to a format you can work with, you will have the ability to move the parts to another page and increase the parts size to fill the page. This way you can stay in the normal US paper size of 8 1/2" x 11".

As an example, you could take the parts that are on one page and move half of them to another page, then double the parts sizes so that they fill up the pages.

You could also buy your models from Gremir. :grin:
    They can be resized with the viewer that comes with the model.
    I'm not exactly sure how it works though.
    Although I have some of Gremir's models, I have not resized anything yet.

5. From within Acrobat Reader, you can click on the Snapshot Tool (small camera icon). Then you can pull a select box around the page you want and it will stick it in your clipboard. All you have to do is paste it in any graphics program and then you can rescale it.

Cheers --- Larry
  6. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Yeah, what Larry said.
    I have done that lots of times when I wanted to change the size of a graphic in a .pdf file or edit it in some other way. After copying using the graphic select tool, open your graphics program of choice, like PSP, PS, GIMP, etc. and paste as new image. Then you can play around with the the picture all you want. Work on a copy of the picture so if (or in my case when) you mess it up you can always go back to the original and work on another copy of it.

FYI, some .pdf files are locked so the graphics select tool will not work.

There is a program for reading .pdf files called Foxit Reader that allows some up and down scaling. I have not used it for that purpose yet, so cannot comment on how it performs.
  7. Maurice

Maurice Member

In sordid detail :grin:.

Open the .pdf in Foxit Reader (or Acrobat Reader 7 - if you must :grin: - same commands in both)
    Go to - Edit/Preferences/General
    Check - Use fixed resolution for snapshots
    Set the Resolution dpi at anything up to the most your available memory will allow
    (you'll know when you've set it too high :grin: )
    Click on the camera icon and select the area to be snapshot (can be the whole page)
    Paste from clipboard into your local friendly graphics prog and resize to the dpi used for the snapshot.
    At this point the scale will be the same as that in the original.

Now if for example you capture at 300dpi and resize to 200dpi a 1/144 model would be scaled to 1/96 ... etc ...
    .... the rest is manipulation in the graphics prog.

If the .pdf is locked it will still be printable (if it's a model) so use a printer emulator to generate an unlocked .pdf.

There are many such emulators but the free demo of win2pdf is (in my opinion) one of the best and the extra page with a tag line can be ignored.
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I wish I had known all this before.

I was following advise of others but I guess they were giving me the long way around this problem. Also, I had never really even paid attention to that little camera icon.

I learned something new today! :grin: Thanks Larry!

9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Man there 50 ways to leave your lover as Mr. Simon said! :grin:

There are more way to do this than Carter's got pills, none are wrong or right, they are just faster or slower, easier or harder.

Neat thing is that here people will post their way and we all learn new things!

For me, I just open the PDF in PhotoShop and re-scale it up or down by percent and paste it in a new document......... see another one to add to the 50 ways.:roll:

Maurice.......... thanks for the tip on win2pdf, I'll check that out when I get home.
  10. winterschmied

winterschmied Member

Thanks to you all!!!!

I never thougt, that such a simple question woult react so much answers.:) After i read all this tip's (offline and translating it for better understanding :grin: ), i will start to test one by one, especially the Adobe ones.

Once again THANKS TO YOU ALL!