Russian Mary Rose

copitz

Dec 4, 2005
Update

MMSHOTIN

Many thanks for the translations.

I am starting to rig the model and am including a couple of shots. I am not so sure about the triangle deadeyes. They look a bit crude! In any case, I had to douse them in super-glue before using them; else they crumbled when tension was applied.

I made all the lower masts from rolled paper. I used wood for the upper masts and bowsprit. I am attaching the sheet I made up for the masts if anyone wants to use them. Also, I am attaching the sheet I made up for the hatch grilles, again should anyone find them useful

Calvin

copitz

Dec 4, 2005
size

Hello David --

Yes, the size is odd; I believe I doubled the sizes of all the sheets before printing! Sorry I forgot that.

Calvin

copitz

Dec 4, 2005
Update

She is about ready to receive yards and sails

This will be a completely new experience for me!

David H

Nov 2, 2005
I live in North Yorkshire
Woo that's so cool...

I have some images of the Rose to scan and post...

BTW what kind of crazy lens are you using?

D

I have copies printed out, one on 180gsm paper the other on 90gsm.

copitz

Dec 4, 2005
Thanks for all the encouragement.

It's getting harder to find places to pick her up! After the yards are added it may be pretty tricky to move her!.

My camera is just a plain somewhat vintage Sony Digital.

Calvin

sergiotang95 said:
I can't find the model or anything on the site. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Sergio

Here is a direct link to the page.

http://jtdigest.narod.ru/dig1_01/rouse.htm

Just give it plenty of time to load as it is really, really sloooooowwwww.
Right click and "save target as" for each and every picture on the page.
All the jpg's throughout the paragraphs are your instructions and the model pages are all at the bottom.

Don't forget, "save tartget as" not "save as":twisted:

Russell

copitz

Dec 4, 2005
If any of you are building this ship, I have a couple of notes to add.

1. There is a strange white triangle on the aft structures that I have been waiting to fill. No parts have shown up for it, so I will just color it to match the rest of the ship.

2. Parts 86 are strips which attach to the hull. They are not obvious at first since they appear on the sail sheet! It would be much easier to attach these parts before attaching the gun port covers.

See attached.

copitz

Dec 4, 2005
Sails and rigging

I have started adding sails and rigging. This is my first attempt at a sailing ship and it turns out the drawing provided leaves some open questions. It is not always very clear where the lines end up. Anyway, I am attaching 2 pictures with the main mast pretty complete.

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
Nov 27, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
The Mary Rose was an English Tudor warship of the carrack type. She was the first ship with cannon ports the first to be able to fire a full broadside of cannons. As Henry VIII's flagship Mary Rose was the beginning of his plan for England to rule the seas.

copitz

Dec 4, 2005
Update

The model is pretty well complete. I have no previous experience with rigging sailing ships so a lot of guesswork was involved, especially since the diagram provided is rather unclear about where many of the lines actually terminate.

I think if I were building the model again I might consider leaving the sails off, or showing them furled -- if I knew how to do that, of course!

But, I don't want to be appearing to be complaining. The end result is a pretty nice looking model, given that it's a freebee.

I have put pix in the gallery, since uploading them with the post doesn't seem to work yet.

Calvin

dansls1

May 7, 2007
If you copy the 'BB Code' line and past it in your thread you can get the pictures to show up here - for example:
v24.jpg

C

cgutzmer

Looks great! Nice work, I never would have guessed you were guessing if you hadnt told us :)
Chris