Russian Mary Rose

copitz

Dec 4, 2005
Has anyone experience building this model? I am plugging along, using the instruction translations I have found, which include such lines as:

"On носовую a superstructure paste a detail 45 (носовая a wall) and a detail 46 (a fodder wall)."

Charming, but a bit cryptic.

The model is going together, but I can't help wondering if it looks like what was intended! This model certainly has a sturdy hull.

David H

Nov 2, 2005
I live in North Yorkshire
Surely you mean Charming but Cyrillic? ;P

Looks like an interesting model and going together well.

Who is the manufacturer, what's the scale and how much detail?

I have a very good friend who worked on raising the ship in the 1980s and would consider making him a copy for his desk. Where did you find her?

D

David H

Nov 2, 2005
Thanks Tirta and Steve,

I will watch Copitz's build thread with interest. Looks fun but quite dificult to build?

I am off to look at some books about the Mary Rose to see if I can undestand the rigging!

Now I can build the Mary Rose, HMS Victory (any time i have a year or so spare!) I just need Warrior 1860 to make the Portsmouth set.
Best

D

copitz

Dec 4, 2005
responses

Hello all,

Yes, David, I should of said Cyrillic!! Marvelous that you know someone with experience with the real ship. The only recovered sailing ship I have seen is the Vasa, and that was probably 20 yrs ago.

There are lots of pieces, and they are not always so clearly identified. Sometimes the sequence of assembly seems a little odd. In addition, it is sometimes not quite clear how the pieces are to be aligned vertically, although mast holes help a lot.

Sheathing the hull proved tricky. The pieces overlap a lot, and have many marks printed on them. In the end I sanded and painted the lower hull. It is still far from smooth, but it is tough. So far I am pretty challenged by full hulls; unfortunately I am also attracted to them.

Other than those "complaints", it's not too difficult.

Tirta, I think the hull should be finished in a week or so; my work schedule is very erratic. Masts and rigging -- I don't have a clue on how long that part of process will take. In many places the model and instructions are pretty "light".

I used standard mat board for the frame, which is about 1/16 inch (1 - 2 mm) thick. The basic hull structure is very rugged.

MMSHOTIN
Oh, I could have used your input many times in this process!!

Thanks for your replies,

copitz a/k/a Calvin

copitz

Dec 4, 2005
thanks to mmshotin

Thanks for the great resources. I wish I had seen them before I started!

Calvin

copitz

Dec 4, 2005
progress

I believe the hull is about ready to receive masts. Pictures follow.

Also, for those interested, I've added a picture of the initial framwork.

David H

Nov 2, 2005
Wow Copitz!

That gun deck is so cool!

Mind made up. Big old office ink jet tomorrow AM, all the sliders to 100% or more.

Perhaps you could publish some instructions or guidlines in English!

D

nibel

May 1, 2007
Malaysia
Arg anythign I buld will look like a toys compare to yours.... Good job and will wait to see how she looks when finish..

copitz

Dec 4, 2005
Instructions

I may take a shot at "translating" a few of the instructions I have managed to figure out. There still are some mysterious pieces of the puzzle!

But, I'm working on the masts first.

Calvin

copitz

Dec 4, 2005
instructions

Thanks for all your support!

Attached is my first cut at annotated instructions.

Calvin

David H

Nov 2, 2005
Calvin,

You are a braver man than I!

That's great and your commentary based on experience will be really helpful.

We were just too busy at work yesterday to fathom out printing the jpegs(fit to page, fit to margins print actual!. The note on printing out two sets of hull formers is v. welcome.

Much appreciated.

D

mmshotin

Apr 27, 2005
Russia, Moscow
www.facebook.com
Some translation notes to your great job:
nakleyte - glue on
vkleyte - glue in
prover'te - check out
instruments - cannons
with size of yashchkhyshch mm - 45x15 mm size