Russian freebies by the hundred - Is it legal?

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by bruceuncle, Aug 12, 2008.

1. bruceuncle

bruceuncle bruceuncle

I came across this site while trawling:

(Link removed as appears to be pirate site)

The above link opens into the Aircraft pages, but you can navigate to other categories from there. There are 757 models listed in this category alone! These are not links to other sites, the downloads are all handled through a single file distribution site. So ALL the models listed are available for download - someone's been very busy "collecting".

These seem to be "acquired" from all kinds of sources and I wonder if it's legal to download some of the more tempting ones. Who would be breaking any laws? Me or the site?
    hamr hamr

:eek: By the way, like some other eastern european sites, there can be some really nasty pop-ups when you first link to the site through its home page. Going in via the link above seems to avoid that. I got one that wanted to scan for viruses and refused to let me cancel the scan. I just killed the modem and checked with Nortons and no damage done (I would be surprised if Nortons let anything nasty through anyway). However, it can be alarming to a novice PC user. This type of pop-up that won't let you close it and keeps pestering with OK/Cancel dialogues is not usually malignant unless you press an OK button in desperation to try and get rid of it. DON'T!! Just kill the connection and/or use task manager to kill the windows. :eek:

What are the community's views on stuff like this? Discussion welcome as I can't tell what's legally non-copyright (freebies from FG?) and possibly not (scans of models that were selling from well-known publishers a few years ago?). Should we sift through it diligently trying to track copyright? :confused: Or just enjoy the cornucopia? :twisted: Feedback please.

2. smyfe

smyfe Member

Hi, I am not a moderator or anything like that, but I am 99.9% certain that this is a PIRATE site, there are models posted on this site from some of our own members here. I would highly recommend that you edit out the link and pm one of the mods to check on it

NULLMOON Member

if its to good to be true its....... a pirate:cry:
  4. Tim Crowe

Tim Crowe Member

Scans of paper models aren’t to be encouraged. It probably already is hampering the growth of the industry.
    When you consider how much time and effort you put into a model it’s not really worthwhile.
    Although I can see the temptation if you live outside of Europe and America – considering the cost of postage.
  5. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Also to be taken into account, I have bought quite a few models now and they have all been on A3 card or A3 books. I would have thought not many people have an A3 size printer, so the scale of the model would be wrong anyway.
  6. bruceuncle

bruceuncle bruceuncle

Thanks for the quick response to edit out the link. I suspected it might be a pirate of some sort when all the pop-ups appeared. In future, I will not post any such suspect sites without reference first. :oops:

On reflection, I suppose that site was pretty obvious (unless it's the wee small hours and the brain isn't locked into gear). But it still raises the question of how to tell what's pirated or not.

An example that recently surprised me was Terry Pratchett's Open University Cut-Out Book. I bought this from a remainders stall recently (two copies - one to build one day and one to preserve). I also bought a copy for a friend in the UK using Amazon (he and I used to build card models 40 years ago and we're both Discworld fans and he needed cheering up). Then I find it's available for free download from a site that I had thought was legitimate (I won't mention which one, but it's in a thread of one of the forum's lists of sites worth visiting). It's obviously a pirate scan. So where does the onus lie for knowing whether it's pirated or not?

I know this is a very grey area. But any suggestions would be welcome.

Having a list of pirate sites would obviously be self-defeating (as bad as me posting the link in the first place! :oops:). A list of copyright models would be out of the question (who would compile it and keep it up to date?). And human morals being flimsy at best, would it make any difference?

I'll certainly be far more cautious in spreading links in the future. Does the forum have any vetting procedure for posting links?
  7. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

The funny thing is ... it's cheaper to buy the card model itself than to download the scan and print it out to the same quality model. I say this from experience in scanning my own kits and having them printed (because I hate the idea of cutting up a book). I usually spend an extra $5-15 over the initial cost depending on sheet size and sheet count.

Pirate scans save you nothing. Also it's funnier because unless the scanner is of the expensive type. You can have distortion and color variance. Multiple scans of the same sheet can compound this as well.

Bottom line is. Buy the model and save money.

I would scan my B52 and AAV but ... holy cow they are huge. I don't even think I have the guts to try an build the B52. =O

Rule of thumb. If the website has models that point to download sites (like Rapidshare and such) ... that's a big flag that the models are not legit because an owner more than likely will not want to give away control of their work.
  8. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

The best practice is - if you are not sure ask - or send a moderator a pm, no need to even post the link until you are sure.
  9. bruceuncle

bruceuncle bruceuncle

You guys are dead right. It seems the only truly legit sites are ones run by the author/publisher themselves. If it's a link to the author/publisher's site, then that's ok too. But if it's some other site that's "collected' files, it's more than likely to be suspect. And read the author/publisher's fine print before passing a freebie on to someone else.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll certainly get a link "vetted" before posting one in the future. :oops:

Now it's back to my first little FG Sopwith Tabloid biplane (modified). Needed some practice before attempting a Modele Kartonowe Fokker EIII and, when I'm happy with the results, my eventual aim of the Modele Kartonowe Zalewski WZ-X. And then there's my sideline of attempting to scratch build a Sopwith Triplane at 1:33. Got the original dawings, got the software, now I need some more practical experience and lots more spare time! I'll keep you posted.
  10. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Excellent job handling this topic gentlemen. The input and conclusion reached are absolutely right. Just to reiterate - when in doubt, PM a mod or admin. We'll respond back to you via PM as quickly as we can.

Well done!