Rural Depot (N Scale)

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Drew1125, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

This is another example of an out-of-the-box kit that's been modified a little to make it more unique...
    This is an inexpensive plastic kit by Bachman. All I did was toss the molded plastic base the kit came with, & made a foundation out of some HO brick wall sections. I used a piece of a farmhouse kit to make an annex on one end, & scratchbuilt a couple of loading docks. I also left the doors off, & added a hint of some interior detail

Attached Files:

2. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Here's a view from the other side...

Attached Files:

3. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Charlie that looks great! :cool: You better get started on the extension of your layout so you will have someplace to put all these neat looking structures! BTW how's Harry Potter doing?? :D
  4. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Oh, man...Harry has suffered a bit of a set back. :(
    We had to do a major overhaul on the track plan, because the grades were a mite too steep in combination with those 18" curves.
    Of course, for a die-hard junkie like me, that's no big deal...just rip up all the track, & start over...go with a level track plan, & just feature a lot of scenic elements above, & below track level, right? See, I know I could get you to see this reasoning, Tyson, but you're not a 6 year old. She didn't buy into it so easily, & her interest was really starting to wane. So as a last resort, I just set her up with the Bachman E-Z track on the bare blue foam, & that's where we are at this point.
    Plus, with vacation plans, & summer camp, & other things, we haven't been able to squeeze in much father-daughter train time...:confused:
    So, I've been doing a lot of sitting & tinkering at the work bench, & inflicting the results on you guys. :D
    And as the Bartles & James guys used to say..."Thank you for your support." :D
  5. t. alexander

t. alexander Member

Charlie, you have a way with capturing the southern feel.
    It really Looks hot and MUGGY!
    I especialy like the mountain just visible over the trees.
    Looks good!

6. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Now Charlie, THAT is what I call "atmosphere". It's the kind of thing I had a mental picture of when I started American outline modelling 30 yrs ago.
    You got the really "used-but-serviceable" look about the whole thing. The whole setting is just right!
    Ohhhhh yesssss, I really love that one!

(Now I KNOW there's a conspiracy to get me to start work again on N gauge):)

7. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Thanks everyone, for all the kind words...getting all these compliments from modelers of this caliber is liable to go to my head! :D
    I don't think I could do any more to convince you than to point you to your own fantastic photo that you entered in the contest!:cool:
  8. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Looks excellent Charlie, like the colours too.